Did I just ruin my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neomadmonkey

Reaction score
I am currently working on my first ever brew, and got through the boil and I didn't have a chiller so I put it in the sink with ice water to cool it. Well, from what I read when you cool it this way you stir it every 15 minutes or so. I put a stirring spoon in a sanitized solution that is supposed to be a no-rinse sanitizer, but I made a dumb move. I took the spoon directly from the solution and started stirring with out letting it dry or anything. Have I just ruined this batch, or is it one of those "time will tell" kind of things? Thank you in advance!

Yeah, you definitely ruined it. Too bad. Just kidding.:tank: Most of the sanitizers are "no rinse" solutions. If a little sanitizer gets in your wort it won't hurt anything.

neomadmonkey said:
I am currently working on my first ever brew, and got through the boil and I didn't have a chiller so I put it in the sink with ice water to cool it. Well, from what I read when you cool it this way you stir it every 15 minutes or so. I put a stirring spoon in a sanitized solution that is supposed to be a no-rinse sanitizer, but I made a dumb move. I took the spoon directly from the solution and started stirring with out letting it dry or anything. Have I just ruined this batch, or is it one of those "time will tell" kind of things? Thank you in advance!

You are fine. Next time, put the pot in tap water and stir the wort. When the cold tap water is hot to the touch, I pull the pot out and change out the tap water. Do this a couple of times, until your tap water and wort equalize in temp. Change the water again, add your ice and chill. I used to be able to go from boil to pitch in less than 35 minutes that way. Make sure you stir the cramp out of it the entire time.

I put the BK in a sink of cold tap water till the water turns warm,a couple minutes. Then drain the sink,fill with ice to the top,& top that off with cold water. Stir the pot & use a thermometer till it gets down to 70. About 20 minutes. 20 minutes or less total chilling time will give little or no chill haze come fridge time.

Back