Buckets, sours, and not sours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zing

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 10 gallon batch of saison today, but all of my carboys are full of beer. I have a few buckets, most of which have been used for either sours or kombucha. I'm planning to pitch some fantome dregs into the saison, and had planned on racking half of it into a bucket that I'll be transferring out of while this beer is on the boil—I may give it a quick rinse with some boiled water, but want those bugs to be in there.

For the other half, I'd planned to do a clean ferment for primary and then decide whether I wanted it more funky depending on how it comes out.

My question is: do any of you have thoughts as to whether four days full of starsan and 20+ minutes of sitting with 170°+ water will be enough to kill off any residual bugs that may be lurking in this other bucket bucket?

I'm fine if it does pick up a bit of an infection, but I'd be interested to hear some feedback from anyone that's experimented with using a bucket with both sour and clean beers.

I'm brewing a 10 gallon batch of saison today, but all of my carboys are full of beer. I have a few buckets, most of which have been used for either sours or kombucha. I'm planning to pitch some fantome dregs into the saison, and had planned on racking half of it into a bucket that I'll be transferring out of while this beer is on the boil—I may give it a quick rinse with some boiled water, but want those bugs to be in there.

For the other half, I'd planned to do a clean ferment for primary and then decide whether I wanted it more funky depending on how it comes out.

My question is: do any of you have thoughts as to whether four days full of starsan and 20+ minutes of sitting with 170°+ water will be enough to kill off any residual bugs that may be lurking in this other bucket bucket?

I'm fine if it does pick up a bit of an infection, but I'd be interested to hear some feedback from anyone that's experimented with using a bucket with both sour and clean beers.

How much is a bucket vs. your work worth to you?? I like having separate gear for wild vs. sacch beers.

And I do, too, but in this case, I'd been thinking of adding bugs anyway.

I just want to hear what others think about the idea. If it were any other sort of beer, I'd suck it up and go buy another carboy, or run something into secondary a bit prematurely, but I prefer my saisons a bit on the wild side normally anyway.

And I do, too, but in this case, I'd been thinking of adding bugs anyway.

I just want to hear what others think about the idea. If it were any other sort of beer, I'd suck it up and go buy another carboy, or run something into secondary a bit prematurely, but I prefer my saisons a bit on the wild side normally anyway.

I do too, but I like control. I have several saisons fermenting that have different organisms fermenting the wort. I like to know that I'm in-charge of my beers (except for the barrel).

Eh, more than half of the gain and all of the hops and yeast were given to me, so I'm not overly concerned about control this go around. As long as there isn't any gusher bacteria/yeast (which I know there isn't) I'm fine with letting this one err a bit on the wild side.

I'll definitely post once it's fermented out to update on how it comes out!

I think that you're Kool and the Gang to go then. It fits your needs perfectly.

Yeah—the way I see it, 14 or so pounds of specialties and spelt and wheat and almost 5oz of hops is well worth my investment of time and 9.5lb of pilsner...and I won't feel bad about being a bit on the less cautious side.

Latest posts

Back