is there any cheap way to mix ball-lock kegs into my pinlock system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I see a few used ball lock corny kegs for sale on craigslist. My current system is all pinlock - I assume I would have to buy new ball-lock posts, as well as beer-line and gas-line connectors?

just get the posts with mfl connections (assuming you already have mfl connections) and screw them on the proper post and viola ball-lock to pin-lock conversion is complete!!!:mug:

If you don't already have ball-locks with mfl connections.................... well........... that sucks

what do MFL connections look like? can you point me to a picture on kegconnection or another site?

they are the threaded 1/4" disconnects http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/pin-disc-1-4-mfl-liq.html

image_1932.jpg

I was gona suggest making a converter from two fitting with a hose or line in between, but the MFL looks way more elegant and does the job too.
Wheelchair Bob

Shouldn't he have these too?
MFL washer?
MFL-Washer-th.jpg

I believe the plastic-tipped MFL connections (like the ones pictured above) do not require the washer. It's only to prevent metal on metal contact. The MFL fittings on my Sanke coupler are all metal, so with those I use the washer.

I do have MFL disconnects on my current pinlock fittings. So I would need this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/ball-disc-1-4-mfl-liq.html

And I would need to swap fittings with a wrench each time I traded a pinlock keg for ball-lock keg?

I assume replacing the keg posts to pinlock would be more expensive, or impossible?

That is the correct liquid QD. You'd also need a gas QD. And, yes, you'd have to swap the QDs back and forth from pin lock to ball lock each time you swap kegs. But that only takes a minute to do.

Posts are going to be a little more expensive than plastic QDs..

Cheers!

Back