"Hoppy" Belgian Golden Ale EXTRACT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginuwineus

Reaction score
This is only my third HB, so please help me out with this one guys... Here's what I narrowed it down to...

"Hoppy" Belgian Golden Ale EXTRACT RECIPE:
10 lbs Pilsen Light DME, or North Western Gold Extract
6 lb Pale Liquid Extract (not too sure about this one)
3/4 cup Belgian special roast malt
3/4 cup English crystal malt (80L)
??? Caravienne Malt
??? Caramunich Malt
??? Belgian Candi Sugar (clear)
1/4 lb Brown Sugar
0.75 oz "Northern Brewer [9.80 %] (60 min)
1.41 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min)
1.23 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min)
0.71 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (DRY HOP)
1 Pkgs Belgian Golden Ale - WLP570

I know I'm all over the place with this one, but all I want is that beautiful Belgian Ale taste with a nice hoppy kick.

I don't think you want the special roast and dark crystal in there for a golden ale, have you plugged this into a brewing calculator or program? Is that 3/4 lb by the way - you said cup.

Edit: what size batch is this? 16 lbs of extract is a lot.

how big a batch is this - 5 gal? that is a lot of DME + LME for 5. you're lining yourself up for an OG of over 1.130, according to my estimate (aka Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator - and i didn't even input the Caravienne nor the Caramunich!). at 10 gallons, you're in the 1.065 - 1.070 range.

you'll need a good amount of yeast to ferment all that sugar. not sure one yeast pack will cover it, unless you make a starter + step it up (check out Mrmalty.com for some scary numbers).

this opinion/advice is based mostly on what i've read, so hopefully someone with more real-world experience can step in and share their insights.

You look on target sweetcell. In beersmith for a 5 gal batch (without the ?? ingredients) I get:
1.134 OG
34 IBU
color 24.7 SRM (brown)

OP, if this is 5 gal batch I think you're on your way to brewing a quad that needs about a 4.5 L starter.

What would you think about dropping the LME, dark grains, and brown sugar, and do something like:
9 lb Pilsen DME
1 lb candi or corn sugar
1 lb caravienne

Sounds like you want the hop character to come through but I wouldn't go too high on the IBU's.
EDIT - correction, calculated wrong when I posted. You could still do:

0.75 northern brewer 60 min
1 oz saaz each at 15 min, 5 min, and dry hop

that at least gets you more in style for a golden strong with
1.087 OG
(correction) IBU 32
color 6.3

Per MrMalty about a 1.8 L starter for that.

Thanks a lot guys!

Chickypad, I'm going with your advice. I'm steeping the candi and caravienne before the boil correct? And you prefer Pilsen Light over North Western Gold???

You steep the caravienne, add the candi either toward the end of the boil or to the fermenter a few days into fermentation (boil in a small amount of water then cool and add).

I just am not familiar with NW Gold. I assume that is a pale extract, so it would be little darker than the pilsen. Many belgian triples and golden strong ales use pilsner as their base but I don't see why you couldn't try either.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back