Wiring modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffutt

Reaction score
Could anybody recommend a modification to the following wiring diagram that would support (2) 240v, 5500 w elements in the BK and (2) 240v, 5500 w elements in the HLT? I have access to dual (or triple) 240v feeds if needed. I also was wondering if "manual mode" in these diagrams lets the system function without the BCS controller. Thanks.

BCS-460-wiring-2-4.jpg

that picture isnt working for me.

FYI you only need 1000-3000w to maintain a good boil. you will only be able to run the boil kettle at maybe 10-20% duty cycle while boiling. do you really have the service to support 100 amps @240v for the brewery alone?

that picture isnt working for me.

FYI you only need 1000-3000w to maintain a good boil. you will only be able to run the boil kettle at maybe 10-20% duty cycle while boiling. do you really have the service to support 100 amps @240v for the brewery alone?

It's kinda hard to say you only need 3000w to boil, you have no idea if he's trying to boil 5 or 50 gallons.

There is a reason to have far more than the heating capacity to maintain a boil. The time to heat the water or wort to boiling temperature is significantly reduced as you increase the total heating input. That 3000w might be fine for 'maintaining' a boil, but not so fine for getting there. There are reasons why a high amperage system is desired.

40 gallons. If there is an advantage to suppling dual feeds, that can be done. If it is not necessary, I am looking for a recommendation to modifiy the wiring to support the extra current of additional heating elements.

Back