Re boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shurla5

Reaction score
Put my yeast in while my mixture was too hot, do you think there is a problem if I re boil the blueberry ginger mixture and let it cool and try again? This is a soda I'm trying it make. It tasted good the first time around I just didn't wait for it to cool enough.

I'm guessing you've left it sit for a few days and it's not doing anything? If so it couldn't hurt, if it was just a few minutes ago there's no need to re-boil.

It had been about a day, thank you for responding so quickly.

~~SHuRLa~~

Sure thing, sometimes waiting for it to start gets pretty nervewracking. As a rule I use 3 days as the minimum mark before I'll do anything with regards to yeast, sometimes they're just lazy in there. :p

I had a lot of complements on my blueberry soda. It sure was bubbly too! 1 1/2 gals of water, 3 cups sugar, 2 inch grated ginger, 6 cups frozen blueberries. Bring the mixture to a boil and then shut off heat, smash blueberries and then cover until cooled. Mix in 1/8 tsp yeast in abut 1 cup of cooled blueberry solution and let sit for about 20 minutes. Then add yeast to rest of blueberry mixture, strain mixture into approx 10 - 16 oz bottles, cap and let sit for about 2 days then refrigerate. I am very new to this home made soda making, this is what worked for me but if your more seasoned your fermenting process might be a bit different.

Nice, let me know how it turns out. My coworker told me he was sitting at home the other night and thought he sure would like to have one of my blueberry sodas. Lol.

6 cups frozen blueberries. Bring the mixture to a boil and then shut off heat, smash blueberries

Wondering why you smashed them after you boiled it?
Would smashing before boiling be to much flavor?
Just trying to learn, Thanks

Wondering why you smashed them after you boiled it?
Would smashing before boiling be to much flavor?
Just trying to learn, Thanks

The reason I personally mash my berries AFTER boiling them, is that they will absorb so much water, that you can extract a great quantity of liquid from them with less squeezing.

You will also gain a much more vibrant color from from your berries, along with a slightly greater concentration of sediment.

Just thought I would post a of pic of my last batch of Blueberry Ginger Soda, it is the bomb! Plenty of carbonation too, I think I like the lalvin EC-1118 yeast best of the yeasts that I've used so far for soda making.

Merry Christmas to al!
Shurla5

IMG_9451.jpg

Scratch that, was just reading about it.
Apparently there are alot of different strains?
I thought there was just champagne yeast.

I tried to take a better picture to show the clarity and color.
Merry Christmas!!
Shurla

BlueberrySoda.jpg

Back