SWMBO wants to brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackinjeebs

Reaction score
Great news! SWMBO chose a beer recipe she wants me to make - and she wants to assist with it.

Anyone else had this rare occurrence happen and how did it go?

Great news! SWMBO chose a beer recipe she wants me to make - and she wants to assist with it.

Yes, and it went well. My wife did much of the work for our hefeweizen that she requested. Its been one of the best beers I've made, and she's quite proud to tell people about her involvement. :-D

Yeah, I am very excited about it. She is one hell of a beer drinker - sometimes she out does me : P

She chose a double chocolate stout btw. Sounds like a delicious beer.

That's awesome! Mine wants to learn and help as well. I keep promising her a Straweberry Blond, but I've been busy with an Oktoberfest and an upcoming Saison. It's nice to see them get interested though. :mug:

beerloaf

She says no every time I ask but she said that the first time I asked her to go touring on the bicycles. We tour every year on bikes now. I'm not sure how many brews until she says yes, but I'm optimistic!

B

Lucky you! Mine always says, "It stinks out here!"

I've only made one brew that she'll drink though. She mostly sticks to her Coors Light. :(

Mine helps out all the time...she's gotten really into it, which makes spending money on brewing a lot easier...

My girlfriend complains that shes allergic to something in beer and it gives her sinus headaches and stuff, she has no interest in my brewing

My girlfriend complains that shes allergic to something in beer and it gives her sinus headaches and stuff, she has no interest in my brewing

I found this on a sinus website...Eliminate alcohol consumption - It is amazing how even casual consumption of alcohol can cause nasal and sinus membranes to swell, exposing them to irritation and infection. Often beer is the offending drink.

This happens to me sometimes as well. I will NOT give up the beer I love though. I take 2 asprin and a benadryl before bed after drinking more than 3 beers. I sleep great and wake up with no hangover, even after 12 beers. No kidding! :drunk:

I found this on a sinus website...Eliminate alcohol consumption - It is amazing how even casual consumption of alcohol can cause nasal and sinus membranes to swell, exposing them to irritation and infection. Often beer is the offending drink.

This happens to me sometimes as well. I will NOT give up the beer I love though. I take 2 asprin and a benadryl before bed after drinking more than 3 beers. I sleep great and wake up with no hangover, even after 12 beers. No kidding! :drunk:

She is fine with wine and liquor, so I'm guessing it is the barley

Just don't make the mistake I did and get, errr... distracted with SWMBO while waiting for the beer to come to boil again after steeping specialty grains. Totally worth cleaning up the mess though. From the boil over, that is. lol :cool:

Mine bought me my kit for my birthday.. she rocks :) She assists all the time its fun actually.

When I met my wife, I had been curious about brewing for years. We went to the fantastic Walking Man Brewpub in Stevenson, WA (worth a pilgrammage) one day and I grabbed their copy of Papazian's book and it really psyched me up.

My wife had previously brewed with her ex and brother. We went and brewed an extract batch with her brother and was hooked. As those of you who follow my work will not be surprised to learn, I quickly took things to levels of analness that most do not approach. My wife observed the upside to being particular and got on board quickly. She is now, IMO, an equal partner. Due to my being shipped off to Tokyo, the rebrew of our 2011 NHC Gold medal fruit beer was done nearly entirely by her, and it won because it was much better than the beer that we entered in the first round.

So hopefully you will luck out like I did and get a wife that is a top tier brewer herself, and you can lean on her success.

Mine won't help with the brewing but she has almost single handedly made the blackberry wine this year. I mean 'HER' blackberry wine:) All I have done is pick them:cross:
I have gotten her this far so she is heading in the right direction.

Well, my wife won't assist me with brewing. BUT, she did just tell me that I need to brew every two weeks. WIN.

and, she has started brewing kombucha. And insists that we buy Grolsch bottles for her kombucha brewing. Thank goodness these bottles come with free beer.

I'm lucky - wife is just as excited about getting started as I am. We do a lot of cooking together and we do a lot of beer tasting together, so its a logical progression. Luckily, we have pretty similar tastes in beer.

My wife brews with me, and is the keeper of the brew log; writes down all the recipes and procedures we do in our book. She also assists in a lot of the steps, and recently did her first recipe. Wheat beer, turned out great.

Wonderful to have your partner in life be your partner in crime and your partner in hobbies as well.

My SWMBO always helps me brew, She also bought me my set up and grain as a birthday gift. She has created a few beers which i must say were Stellar! Welcome to the club of those lucky enough to have AWESOME SWMBO!

Yeah, we regularly attend beer tasting festivities together too! God I love this woman. : )
The most recent being Zoo Brew in Portland (was great!).

Question though, for her first expedition into it, you think I should bring her into the cleaning and sanitizing bit, or just the brewing aspect? I don't want to put her off with the "work" aspect of it.

Have her be part if it as much as possible. If you had to choose a aper though have it be the brewing aspect. Think of it as having some one help you baking. What is going to be the better experience, haven her help measure and mix ingredients, or having her wash the dishes?
Have her add hops and grain, and make sure to explain everything as you go along id ahe is infamiliar.

For some reason, this post reminded me of the scene in Half Baked where the guy gets called up by the girl he likes under the auspices of being a drug dealer and he says "NOW CAN SHARE EVERYTHING TOGETHER!"

Seriously, great news though. Now you can blow all the money you want on brewing stuff and not feel guilty and/or be given the third degree!

My wife doesn't brew, but, she does thoroughly love my hobby, and drinks almost as much beer as I do. :)

Remember that back in the that brewing was mainly done by woman to gain extra income for the household. They were called Alewives. So don't give up on asking for them to help! Let them know it's their heritage ;)

Mine will help if I ask but has no real interest other than naming the beers. She is however going to start making soaps, lotions and things of that nature. :)

Mine will help if I ask but has no real interest other than naming the beers.

Yeah same thing for me. She doesn't like the taste of beer and doesn't really like the smell of my brewing, but she always helps out when i ask her to and has no problem with me brewing every couple of weeks so I can't complain.

Have her be part if it as much as possible. If you had to choose a aper though have it be the brewing aspect. Think of it as having some one help you baking. What is going to be the better experience, haven her help measure and mix ingredients, or having her wash the dishes?
Have her add hops and grain, and make sure to explain everything as you go along id ahe is infamiliar.

I like this idea. I am going to have her doing the brewing. I will be there to assist her instead. I will of course take care of the cleaning and sanitizing though before hand to minimize the time required. : )

So the results are in. SWMBO brews better beer than I. Granted she used my technique and I guided her the entire time. She has the best home brew to date out of us. Haha.
I am not even mad though. Her red ale is delicious and I get my fair share of it! :mug:

I got a 2nd fermenter set up,another long spoon,etc so we can brew 2 batches at once when time & supplies allow. Her 1st was a BB summer ale kit that came out great. I just mentored her, & did the sanitizing,measuring,& the like. She's going to be doing my version of an SA summer ale soon. She def loves my ales better than store bought. She's really cool about the whole thing. She said it reminds her of cooking.:tank:

My wife brews with me, and is the keeper of the brew log; writes down all the recipes and procedures we do in our book. She also assists in a lot of the steps, and recently did her first recipe. Wheat beer, turned out great.

Wonderful to have your partner in life be your partner in crime and your partner in hobbies as well.

Sorry guys, have to pat myself on the back...I bought him the original set up for his brithday and have hijacked the recipe finding/creating, purchasing of new equipment and research to make better beer. We brew and go to the LHBS together.
We have made our own 6 pack as a date night almost the entire time we've been together. It is AWESOME to be able to do stuff together.
I'm glad to hear there are other BrewLadies out there that like to participate with you guys!!! :mug:
Sarah.

Everyone knows that females lack the intelligence to brew good beer.

Duh

:)

Sorry guys, have to pat myself on the back...I bought him the original set up for his brithday and have hijacked the recipe finding/creating, purchasing of new equipment and research to make better beer. We brew and go to the LHBS together.
We have made our own 6 pack as a date night almost the entire time we've been together. It is AWESOME to be able to do stuff together.
I'm glad to hear there are other BrewLadies out there that like to participate with you guys!!! :mug:
Sarah.

Good for you! My wife doesn't like beer but supports the hobby and even helps when I need a bottling or mash assist buddy. I've got a wheat I've brewed that she says 'isn't bad' so I'm holding out hope! She's a wine girl so I try and keep something in bottle for her there as well.

My SWMBO helped me with my first beer but didn't like the smell (i told her she is crazy) now she will help me when I need an extra set of hands or something but for the most part stays out of it, but she is happy that I have a hobby I enjoy and has never tried to stop me or anything so thats a plus.

My SWMBO bought me a kit for Christmas and loves that I brew. She hasn't helped out yet on a brew day but likes the smell of it and definitely loves the results. The first recipe I came up with on my own was for her - a Goose Island Greenline clone - and she drank more of them than I did.

You guys need to tell your women to..

I kid...I kid! I'm not married...but if/when I do decide to go that route...I think that interest in brewing will be a must!

Back