Low- or Mid-Alpha hop with lots of "fruity" flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a low- or mid-alpha hop with a "fruity" flavor. Not picky about what kind of fruit it resembles, just don't want grassy/piney/"green" flavors.

The only ones that I can think of are Crystal or Amarillo. Any suggestions?

Amarillo is a good choice. Citra is also, but to be honest I'm not particularly keen on it.

You might also consider some of the New Zealand or Australian varieties. They are definitely more fruity and less piney/earthy.

Check out the New Zealand varieties. NZ cascade is more fruity, Rakau comes to mind, also NZ halltertau. All depends on what kind of beer you are making. Seven Bridges has a good variety. These also happen to be organic.

Pacific Gem has some fruity flavors to it (sort of berryish). It also has some woody undertones. I've used it in two stout recipes, so some of it may have been covered up by the roasted barley and other grains. They were good beers - very smooth and flavorful.

The alpha may be higher than you're looking for, though. My local shop just started getting them in from New Zealand a few months back.

Back