Labatt Blue Clone anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgruis

Reaction score
I would like to clone Labatt Blue.....the biggest question I have at the moment is what Hops to use? I'm putting this out there because I know alot of you are better at picking out the hops on smell alone.

Any one have a guess?

I'd probably go with a single addition of Hallertau at the beginning of the boil. Shoot for 14 IBU's a little higher or lower depending on your preference.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I did come across one guy on the Beersmith that said Hallertau.

Are you brewing this for yourself or others?

Not that Labatt Blue is a bad beer, haven't had any since I moved to the west coast, but its just a middle of the road pilsner.

You could just look for any other tried and true pilsner recipe and go from there. :mug:

For sure, and I have. I have brewed my own house pilsner "Gruis Pils" a couple times. I like it...I just have fond memories of this beer and was going to try it and see what happens.

TMI..but :)..when I was stationed in Hawaii I used to drive all over the island looking for this stuff. I only found one place that carried it. Same thing in Cali...it wasnt easy to find there either. Now I can get it anytime and..yes...it's no longer a premium brand..but what the heck.

Are you brewing this for yourself or others?

Not that Labatt Blue is a bad beer, haven't had any since I moved to the west coast, but its just a middle of the road pilsner.

You could just look for any other tried and true pilsner recipe and go from there. :mug:

You know your beer. Labatt Blue Beer isn't the best or worst tasting beer, but I've heard a lot of beer snobs like to put down average tasting beer. Labatt Blue Beer is my favorite all around OK tasting go to cheap beer.

I made a cream ale as close to Labatt Blue as I could. I find it to be slightly fruity for a pilsner so went with some later additions to get a little more hop presence. My hops were:

Northern Brewer -0.25oz - 60min
Hallertauer - 0.5oz - 20min
Hallertauer - 0.5oz - 5min

Seemed pretty close. Anything noble should work fine, you're not using much in the way of hops anyways.

For the love of Allah, please dry hop the hell out of it! I'm dying to make beers like this for my light beer drinking friends but hit em with a pound of dry hops.

Latest posts

Back