Czech Pils for Saturday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
I've far from gotten a handle on lagers (one Oktoberfest that was pretty good, but not really Oktoberfesty, and one Doppelbock I've just kegged), but I thought "why not try one of the more difficult styles?? It's only time, money, and pride" and went to the LHBS today. Starter is starting as I type. The acid malt is only listed in the recipe in case my pH isn't right after the protein rest. If it's in range I'll omit it. The hop schedule isn't strictly traditional according to my research, but I think I'll like it.

:mug:

04-07-2007 Oliviavar I

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------

Brewing Date: Saturday April 07, 2007
Head Brewer: Billy Gray
Asst Brewer: Olivia Gray
Recipe: Oliviavar I

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.94
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.28
Anticipated SRM: 4.1
Anticipated IBU: 39.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.28
Actual FG: 1.012 Plato: 3.07

Alc by Weight: 3.86 by Volume: 4.94 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 75.0 RDF 62.4 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 73 %
Anticipated Points From Mash: 49.55
Actual Points From Mash: 49.55

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.6 9.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
5.0 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.5 0.25 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.033 35
1.9 0.19 lbs. Sauer(acid) Malt 1.035 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
56.00 g. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 24.2 60 min.
28.00 g. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 9.3 30 min.
28.00 g. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 6.0 15 min.
28.00 g. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2278 Czech Pils

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name: Oliviavar I

Total Grain Lbs: 9.94
Total Water Qts: 8.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 2.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.10
Grain Temp: 75 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dough-in 5 15 68 68 Infuse 67 8.00 0.80
Protein Rest 5 15 122 122 Infuse 210 6.13 1.42
Saccharification R 5 60 151 151 Infuse 210 7.92 2.22
Mash out 10 5 170 170 Decoc 210 8.33 1.50 (Decoc Thickness)

Cheyco Libre said:
Looks great! Why not go all-in and do straight pil malt?

I take it Olivia is in charge of the drooling, er I mean, sparging? :D
Olivia is actually in charge of everything, no matter how much I try to fool myself. :p

I've read a few articles that recommend some cara-pils. I'm going to try it and see what happens. The melanoidin is because I love it and since I don't have time for decocting I hope it will add that component.

Firstly, if you worry about mash pH, why don't you start from acid rest/Dough-in at about 100-110F, may not need this acid malt at all. Next, Checks pilsner is of Bohemian pilsner style which is a bit more full bodied than, say, German pilsener. That said, I'd make a protein rest to 130-131F for protein/beta rest then and moved your sacharification to 154F. Hopefully it will make your OG to 1.052-54. Lastly I'll second Glibbidy on decoction from protein to saccharification.

Ahh, and these 2Oz of Saaz @0 - what an aroma!

Under perfect circumstances I'd include an acid rest and use decotions for the steps as I often do, but this particular mash schedule is designed around the time I'll have in my day. I can dough-in hours before hand during the day and let the mash rehydrate and then start brewing in earnest at night after my daughter goes to bed. An acid rest would be nice, but acid malt will accomplish the same purpose without the rest or infusions/decoction. The melanoidin malt will render the decoction steps not as important (without even debating whether or not they are important).

All that said, my Doppelbock which did utilize just about every rest in the book and three decoctions is in the keg. I'm going to save some bottles and do the same beer basically the same schedule above and make comparisons to see if it's worth my time or not.

Can we get a filed report on how this works out. It is always a treat to be able to cut out some steps here and there, and end up with the same or improved result.

Glibbidy said:
Can we get a filed report on how this works out. It is always a treat to be able to cut out some steps here and there, and end up with the same or improved result.
Absolutely. I think the Kaiser has done some experimentation, as well. I'll ping him.

This looks great and is a great example of using all the tools available to make the complex brews we want. Can't wait to hear the results.

I'll let you know tonight :eek: My starter only began to settle down last night and I forgot to set my kegerator for primary fermentation temps. Everything is looking good this morning, though, so I'm hitting it as soon as I get back from Easter dinner (which is really lunch in the South) with the parents.

Just got done cleaning up. I'm starting to like doughing in with cold water...the grains are really well hydrated and "unclumpy" by the time I do my first infusion. Despite my recipe, I usually let it sit for an hour or two before I'm ready to brew.

I forgot to do a pH test at the end of the protein rest but did one right when my sacch. rest started and everything looked *perfect*...as close to reading something between 5.0 and 5.3 on those stupid strips as I could get - therefore I didn't need any acid malt at all. I did dough in with distilled water just to cut my city water a bit (which is already relatively soft) so that may have helped.

I managed to hit 78% efficiency (with the Corona since BOSTON was out of town and I couldn't use his mill :mad:) but also collected a little extra wort (due to a temperature adjustment and bad math) so I wound up 2 pts low on SG which is fine.

The wort tastes lovely and is chilling as I type. It'll probably be pitchable by morning.

Cheyco Libre said:
Have you ever thought of getting your own glacier to work with? Might speed things up a tad...

:cross: :mug:
Can you provide any assistance in that area?? I did piss off SWMBO once (at least) today and things got a little icy for a while.

Raleigh water in the colder seasons will get wort pretty much to ale temps with a Cheyco CFC.

Cheyco Libre said:
How long is your hose?

:D

Awesome looking recipe! I may just have to brew it next since the maibock will be coming out of the fridge...
Long enough for this job, I'm pretty sure! Beats me how it'll come out...I was inspired by a Pilsner at the taproom that was incredible, but to be honest I haven't had a chance to talk to the brewer about it so I just winged the recipe.

Just moved this to a keg for lagering. Hit 1.011 FG and it has a lovely natural carbonation. It definitely has a little yeastiness that needs to cleanup during lagering, but overall I think it's going to be quite quaffable. It's probably the lightest beer I've done and the hop profile is going to work.

Back