NYC Brewers - Let me watch/help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this idea, but I can't seem to find any other recent topics on this so I'll start a new one. I'm a new homebrewer (one batch under my belt, another one coming soon) and I'm still getting a feel for the process. I've read the books, combed the forums, joined homebrewing yahoo groups, watched the videos, etc. BUT - none of those methods compare to just actually doing it. When I brew by myself, there's no one around to critique what I'm doing or answer questions, so here's my proposition: let me come help you on brew day. This way I can watch a more experienced brewer do his or her thing, and have real interaction, not just watch a video and mutter to myself "but WHY did you do THAT?" In return, I will gladly share some of my recently brewed beer (an American style wheat) with you. I'm really curious to know what a homebrewer thinks of it, anyway.

So what say you, New York? Let a stranger into your kitchen? (Hmm...maybe not the best way to put it...) Let me help; I'll give you beer. (MUCH better!)

I'm not NYC, but if you can make it south to Sayreville (about 35 miles south of you) you can brew with me. This coming weekend is my only chance to brew until the middle of July so I figure I might try for a big IPA using the hops in my freezer. Will probably start a mead and a cider too since I have the yeast and honey kicking around.

My brewday usually consists of sitting around being hot and sweaty in the garage, drinking beer and playing pool. Sound inviting enough?

Thanks, Drat, definitely sounds inviting. However this weekend I'll actually be back in my hometown (Buffalo, NY) for a wedding. Perhaps when you brew again in mid-July I'll take you up on that offer.

No worries. I have no shortage of recipes that I want to brew so as long as the budget for grain holds, I'll be brewing often...

If you want to come to Brooklyn you can help me brew one of these days. I mostly do partial mash batches when I buy from AHS but I just bought a few kits from NB and those are extract. When I am done with the kits I have now I plan to try all grain with BIAB method. I already have another pot but need to buy some accesorries for it (valve, thermometer) and make a custom grain bag.

My upcoming brewing schedule - 3 saisons + 1 Dubbel.

I'm imagining the conversation with SWMBO:

"Hey hon, a guy from the internet is coming over on Saturday. But don't worry, he's just going to watch!"

;)

@munche - yeah, every time I read the heading to this post it makes me giggle a little.

@aireborneguy - that trip I'm taking this weekend is causing me to work late on monday, so I wouldn't be able to get to Staten Island before like 10:30 PM. I imagine you'll be done by then, and I have to work at 7AM on tuesday, so I'll take a raincheck. But good to know another NYC brewer.

@pivzavod - I'd love to help with a partial mash or all-grain, but I would gladly help with a kit, too. Practice, practice! If you message me off-list, we can talk more about schedules and see when might be a good time.

Thanks all to have responded so far! I hope maybe by summer's end I will have made a few new brewer friends and have a better grasp on the process.

Spot on Munche!

Brettv - most LHBS do demo's and some even do brew days. Maltose Express in CT is a fantastic shop with some amazing staff. Plus, Mark and Tess who own and run the place are the authors of Clone Brews and Beer Captured... Plus their really supportive and great people. I'm in CT, but work in the city, PM me if ya want to grab a beer and talk brewing.

First of all, if you live in NYC you should be buying your kits from Danielle and Benjamin at Brooklyn Homebrew. Without our support their venture may fail and it is so nice having a local source of grain and equipment that we don't have to pay shipping or worry about the UPS/Fedex guys!

www.brooklyn-homebrew.com

Secondly... I brew all grain. I live up in Harlem and have basically called off my brewing until the hottest part of summer is over. Even with a ghetto chiller, with an ambient temperature of a bazillion degrees in my apartment I can't keep the wort chilled enough during the summer months. I will probably start again in September and you will be welcome to come and brew a batch with me then. You should check out the two local homebrew clubs and meet some of your fellow homebrewers. There is the New York City Homebrewers Guild in Manhattan and the Malted Barley Appreciation Society in Brooklyn. Both are awsome and filled with great folks.

First of all, if you live in NYC you should be buying your kits from Danielle and Benjamin at Brooklyn Homebrew. Without our support their venture may fail and it is so nice having a local source of grain and equipment that we don't have to pay shipping or worry about the UPS/Fedex guys!

Secondly... I brew all grain. I live up in Harlem and have basically called off my brewing until the hottest part of summer is over. Even with a ghetto chiller, with an ambient temperature of a bazillion degrees in my apartment I can't keep the wort chilled enough during the summer months. I will probably start again in September and you will be welcome to come and brew a batch with me then. You should check out the two local homebrew clubs and meet some of your fellow homebrewers. There is the New York City Homebrewers Guild in Manhattan and the Malted Barley Appreciation Society in Brooklyn. Both are awsome and filled with great folks.

Thats why you have to brew Saisons during summer months ;)

I have bought everything I've used for brewing, ingredients and equipment from Brooklyn Homebrew. I called and e-mailed Benjamin multiple times during my first brew session, and he was incredibly patient and helpful. I will definitely continue to give them my business.

I do belong to the NYC Homebrewers Guild yahoo group, just haven't made it to a meeting yet. I definitely plan on it, though. Haven't heard of the Brooklyn group, but I'll check them out. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back