upgrading my system and I have a chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
Hello. I am buying 2 keggles to upgrade from 5 gallon batch sparge all grain batches to 10 gallons fly sparge batches. I currently have a wort chiller made from 25feet of copper. Will that still be good to chill a 10 gallon batch or do I need to upgrade to something else? I assume many people out there started with 5 gallon batches like myself and then upgraded, so I am hoping to find out what others have gone through and figured out with this. All suggestions are appreciated!

I am still using the original 25 ft chiller I had from my indoor brewing days. When I used it with a keggle, the keggle retained so much heat, that it was not a very efficient cooling mechanism, even when sraying the output water on the outside of the keggle. With my thin-wall kettle now, it does all right, but I still need to upgrade. I think if you are going to use keggles, you should probably upgrade to a larger chiller and/or incorporate a recicrulation system.

Have you looked at the integral chiller the Pol did?
I think I'll do something like that.
Only I'm planning on a little more sophisticated heat transfer mechanism.

Back