Best beer kits for beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrich85

Reaction score
Just looking for some recommended Beer kits for beginners. Currently have a single fermenter which i will use for primary and secondary fermentation. Then want to transfer to a S30(think thats right) king keg to carbonate.

Would i be better of making ales rather than lagers with the above setup? ?If so what are the easiest brews to make?

my favorite is brewers best pale ale. simple brew with specialty grains and dry yeast. It was my first and I keep going back to it because I like the beer so much.

Ales are generally going to be easier, because temperature control is simpler. With lagers, you're going to want an extra fridge, unless you have some other way to maintain such low temps over a long period of time.

As for easiest brews, have a gander at our recipe section. There are plenty of very simple recipes in there, it just comes down to what you like. You could also try a kit from one of the online stores (Midwest, AHS, BMW, etc...).

Just looking for some recommended Beer kits for beginners. Currently have a single fermenter which i will use for primary and secondary fermentation. Then want to transfer to a S30(think thats right) king keg to carbonate.

Would i be better of making ales rather than lagers with the above setup? ?If so what are the easiest brews to make?

For a good general purpose beer, I tried ALLAGASH WHITE CLONE (Google datrgod allagash white for the recipe). Everyone loves it, great in warm wetaher and honestly, pretty simple extract recipe

Coopers of OZ and Munton from GB make single can kits selling for under $20.00,contains Hopped LME, and yeast, add your own sugar, no boil, most make 6 gallons. try a google search

Similar kit in U.S. (where you find it) is Premier Malt, well under $10.00, see a long discussion here at this Extract Brewing forum, a guy there made a batch
with no special equipment, just a plastic water jug and bottles.

MAsteveINE

AHS has a selection of easy to make. I think its called Gold Seal or something like that.

I have personally tried the Midwest kits and found it rather simple. They did use Munton's Dry Yeast, which I hear is less than stellar. But, so far so good with me.

Find a kit from any of the above referenced stores (or the recipes on here) that you feel comfortable with making and would enjoy drinking for 5 gallons. That would be the best kit for you.

Definitely go for ales, you probably don;t have the equipment to maintain lagering temps. I've had great results with brewers best kits and some excellent results from AHS stuff.

extract hops and yeast is all you need you don't need to buy a kit go to your local home brew store pick a extract that sounds good get some fresh hops and yeast for the kind of beer you are brewing you will open yourself up to many more recipes if you go to the home brew store and put something together your self

Back