How long does Apfelwein ferment (Bubble) ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pint4pat

Reaction score
I started my first batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein on 10/12. I followed the directions from the recipe. It started fermenting within 24 hours and has bubbled ever since. The temperature is at 68 - 70 F.

I understand it has to age but does it take this long to ferment? It is much longer than any beer I have made.

Thanks for you replies.

I kegged my first batch today. Tasted great, added a little splenda to backsweeten. I left it in primary for 6 weeks till gravity leveled. i give mine a few healthy swirls every nighr be fore bed to kep the yeast suspended and the action happening.

As HillbillyDeluxe stated, I also kept mine in the primary for 6 weeks, until it finished at 1.001. I also backsweetened half the batch with an individual packet of splenda per bottle. HOLY HELL was that stuff good after being in the bottle for about 3 months. Almost had the characteristics of a crip riesling wine.

ok - just needed a sanity check - sounds like all is well.
Thanks everyone.

DUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! Just tapped mine tonight! 4 Pints in and it is the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! I backsweetened 3.5 gal with 1/2 cup splenda and it is the bombstickdiggedy! Patience young padewan patience. Apfelwine better over time it is!!!

Kegged mine at two months. wasn't quite done, but I needed the fermenter. I killed the yeast and backsweetened. My blackberry wine is even worse. It's taken a week to go from 1.004 to 1.000.

It continues to ferment til it's done :D.....apfelwein is something to think in terms of months, not weeks. It may or may not bubble, because bubbling is not a gauge of fermentation, but a release of excess co2, nothing more, it may still be fermenting and not needing to off gas.

Mine didn't clear for 3-4 months, noone touched it even at 6 months, but everyone loved it carbed and conditioned and very smooth after one year from apple jugs to glass.

Thanks everyone - this clears up all the questions I had.

I will have patience and enjoy it when it is time.

[QUOTE I backsweetened 3.5 gal with 1/2 cup splenda [/QUOTE]
Total newbie here, but ready to brew some Apfelwein (for opposing tennis teams that Ill play in the early spring...HAHAHAHA-evil laugh). I am sure that more than half of the women Ill be playing would prefer the apfelwein to be on the sweeter side. I have some splenda handy, but what exactly does "backsweeten" mean? In other words, when would I add the Splenda?
Thanks so much-

Back