How long in Fermenter?? CoopersKit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I brew'd a Coopers Bitter and bottled it after 7 days, based on the instructions... I have now read several messages stating that you should (or can) leave the beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks to help improve the flavor.

I was thinking (if this is true and I believe the folks on this board no better then I do as this is my first beer) that I really need to keep the beer in the bottles longer with a 7 day fermentation.

My question is if I keep the beer in the fermenter longer does this decrease the length of time I need to "age" the beer in the bottles?

I am super impatient to test my first batch, but I have given myself a strick 5 week limit before I test my beer... I was hoping you folks could end some guidance for a newbie with the bug (Ordering the Dark Ale now and looking to replace the Coopers Brew Enhancer-2 with 500 Dark Spray {Muntons}, 500 Dextrose).

5 weeks is fine if you bottled after one week.

The main benefit of leaving your beer in primary for a few extra weeks is to give the yeast time to clean up any off flavors that may have been produced. You'll get a much smoother, clean beer if you let it sit.

As for waiting longer with your beer....there's really no need. Do yourself a favor though. Set one six-pack of your beer aside and forget about it for at least 6 months. Once you taste that six-pack, you'll understand the effect that aging has on a beer. It will taste MUCH better.

The main benefit of leaving your beer in primary for a few extra weeks is to give the yeast time to clean up any off flavors that may have been produced. You'll get a much smoother, clean beer if you let it sit.

I found the oppisite.

The longer I let the ferment sit, the more sour apple flavor I got. After about 10 days it was real bad.

I read that the yeast competes with the bacteria to grow so the longer it sits, the more off flavors that can be introduced. I wish I could reference the site I got that info from. They said in a homebrew environment where things are never completely sterile that it can become an issue because every batch of homebrew is infected. It's just a matter of 'how much'.

now I am really confused.....
The prior post says the opposite, I think. Does any other cooper kit basic user have another opinion on this??:confused:

I found the oppisite.

The longer I let the ferment sit, the more sour apple flavor I got. After about 10 days it was real bad.

I read that the yeast competes with the bacteria to grow so the longer it sits, the more off flavors that can be introduced. I wish I could reference the site I got that info from.

I wish you could reference that too, because it is 100% wrong.

Leaving the beer in the fermenter more than 4 months may cause some off flavors, from autolysis.

What happens is the yeast, when it runs out of food, actually starts to digest its own waste products. That's a good thing, and you want that to happen. The yeast actually go and "clean up" before finally going dormant and falling to the bottom of the fermenter. This can take from 2-4 weeks to complete. After that, the suspended solids, proteins and other things that you don't want in your beer will also drop out. After that you can rack off clear beer into the bottling bucket or keg, and have better beer.

There can be a risk of autolysis. That's when after the yeast have digested their own waste products, they are left (and generally at a fairly high temperature) for a long time, perhaps many months. At that point, the yeast can actually start to digest themselves, and actually smell like it's starting to rot. This takes quite a long time, and I'm not sure that anybody I know has actually experienced it. If you leave a empty (but uncleaned) fermenter out in the summer sun a couple of days, you can sort of smell what it may smell like!

If you use sanitary techniques, and pitch the yeast into the fermenter at a good temperature (70 degrees or so), the yeast will outcompete any bacteria or wild yeast that may float by. You have NO risk of contamination simply by leaving the beer in the fermenter. I routinely leave mine in the fermenter for 4 weeks, and many of us do.

You'll get good information from here, and I also suggest howtobrew.com (free online, but a great "real" book, too!) for more information on good brewing methods.

The prior post says the opposite, I think. Does any other cooper kit basic user have another opinion on this??:confused:

Yes. Please ignore people who have no idea what they are talking about, have never made a drinkable batch of beer, and cannot give you the references for their "facts".

Don't be, mikedavid00 has had problems with his Coopers kit and is not willing to listen to anyone giving him any advice that doesn't already support his position on the matter. Look here for more on that:

Mikedavid00's Coopers Kit Issue

As far as leaving it in the fermenter. There is NOTHING wrong with letting it sit for a few weeks to finish fermenting and clean up after itself.

Wow.
Thanks guys. Just a note that with my first batch the air lock was so active that I actually had to add some water to keep it from completely blowing all the water out. This happened for a few days.

Thanks again.

Wow.
Thanks guys. Just a note that with my first batch the air lock was so active that I actually had to add some water to keep it from completely blowing all the water out. This happened for a few days.

Thanks again.

The very first five gallon kit I ever made blew the air lock right off the fermenter. I use a blow off tube now and, when I do switch back to the air lock, I fill it with vodka. That way if any of it gets into the beer it won't infect the batch.

Welcome to the addiction! :mug:

Wow.
my first batch the air lock was so active that I actually had to add some water to keep it from completely blowing all the water out.

I wish I had that problem.

I can't give updates on my bew because unfortunately I'm banned from posting further to it. I wouldn't expect tight censorship and controlling of speech on a beer brewing forum but oh well. (sorry I really think censorship and controlling speech is one of the big problems in our countries today and it's not something that we should practice if we don't have to).

Anyhow, my beer got kept and bottled after 3 weeks. It had a strong sour apple flavor when I bottled it on Saturday. After 1 week though it did not have those flavors. Those flavors came later on after sitting for about 11 or 12 days.

It's not carbonating at all it seems. I don't know how long I'll have to wait for that to happen. I have this sinking feeling it's never going to carbonate. I can say that right now the beer is simply un drinkable. It tastes nasty.

On the videos people say their wart 'taste like beer'. Mine certainly does not by any stretch of the imagination. It tastes like a sour apple sider that has a fungus.

I read on that website that the yeast and and bacteria both grow at the same time and if the bacteria out does the yeast it will introduce off flavors. They also said that the longer it sits the more time the bacteria has to grow. They claimed this was for a homebrew environment only and the longer you want it to sit, the more sterile the conditions have to be. They also said that all homebrew is infected with bacteria regardless of anything you do, but it's a matter of 'how much'.

That's all I read. Maybe I have a history in my browser somewhere and I can reference the site. I'm certainly not making this up.

However I obviously trust you guys if you guys are claiming that it's good to leave it in for a few weeks.

If that's the case, then my brew should come out amazing becuase it was altra sterile and left in for 21 days. It's now bottled.

Another guy on Youtube was bottling after 4 days and drinking after a week that which was a bit early but said it was amazing and ranted and raved about the beer and how amazing it was. He loved the beer so much that he said he has no reason to try all-grain brewing.

His experience is what I bought the kit for and my experience is very, very different than his.

But I guess I'm doing things the right way. I'm still holding on hope that the beer will turn out to be the best, freshest beer I've tasted.

My fingers are still crossed.

Is John Palmer a good enough source as to what to do with your kit?

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

It's no different than our non kit recipes, a beer is a beer, and as you might have read, many of us subscribe to the idea of not rushing our beers off the yeast for at least 3-4 weeks, and find out beers greately improved by doing so. It allows the yeast to clean up any byproducts they created during fermentation, which if rushed away from this process too soon, may lead to off flavors.

He also says this in the ending to the section on autolysis.

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

And theres been HUNDREDS of threads on this topic.

And, mikedavid00, if you've sanitized properly, and pitched enough yeast then you create an environment that is inhospitable to bacteria and infections. The yeast is great at protecting it's environment if it can overtake any nasties.

If you are leaving your beer x days and getting an infection, then it's not the process of leaving the beer someplace, it's the fact that YOU are skimping on cleaning and fermentation. It's not the fault of long primary, it's operator error. :rolleyes:

Welcome to HBT!
I think Yooper, Shooter, and Revvy covered the facts so I will just add this little tidbit of advice. Make more beer right away.

It really does get easier to wait until the yeast has finished its job the more batches you have in the pipeline. Almost everyone rushes their first beer so you are not unusual in that respect but your beer will be much improved with patience. ;)

However I obviously trust you guys if you guys are claiming that it's good to leave it in for a few weeks.

If that's the case, then my brew should come out amazing becuase it was altra sterile and left in for 21 days. It's now bottled.

Another guy on Youtube was bottling after 4 days and drinking after a week that which was a bit early but said it was amazing and ranted and raved about the beer and how amazing it was. He loved the beer so much that he said he has no reason to try all-grain brewing.

His experience is what I bought the kit for and my experience is very, very different than his.

But I guess I'm doing things the right way. I'm still holding on hope that the beer will turn out to be the best, freshest beer I've tasted.

My fingers are still crossed.

Honestly, we really do want your beer to be good. Just because it's smelling bad now doesn't mean it won't be good later, but, there is a chance, there's always a chance, that it won't be. With proper techniques that chance is exceedingly slim. This beer may be great, it might be terrible. If it is, make sure you're doing everything right and try again.

It just seems like you're a little TOO insane about this first beer. Some of my beers have been good, some have been okay. I'm sure, one day, I'll get one that makes me want to puke my guts out and I'll be pissed about it, but you just gotta enjoy the ride. I do believe you have a system that can make a decent beer. I really do believe that. We are trying to help, but Craigtube has his thing and we have ours. Craig seems like a nice enough guy and I can't bash him for doing what he loves, I'd certainly sit down for a beer with the guy, but he does have certain problems with his process.

It's just beer! :mug:

i just read the first thread and noticed the OP said he rinsed his fermenting bucket 8 times.
8 times with what? if he sanitized then rinsed 8 times with tap water he unsanitized it and that could be the cause of the sour apple smell.
also - no one asked what he used to sanitize with at first.
just sayin....

mikedavid00

The reason your thread got closed is that your where spamming about how bad coopers kits are. It seems you don't know enough about brewing to realise you are making presumptions and blaming the materials when it's probably your methods that are wrong.

Coopers may not be the best kits but they are not to blame for you making bad beer.

Listen, learn and move on.

Wow mikedavid00, having just read that Tirade I am very sorry I missed the thread, maybe I could have set you straight with a couple simple cut and pastes....

I diagnosed your beer in 5 minutes...it wasn't the beer, it wasn't the kit, it was the brewer..sorry, I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm trying to help you make great beer, but you needed to have seen these posts in your thread...

(1)the one about not relying or caring about airlock bubbles, and (2) Not worrying about whether there's a seal or not. (3)The one about not stressing out about any tastes and smells while the beer is in the fermenter/secondary.(4) The one about having PATIENCE and letting the beers condition in the bottle for 3-6 or more weeks.

Or the one about letting time correct any problems...you know the uber thread with all the stories of beers getting better with time? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/ :D

There was nothing wrong with the coopers fermentor, or the ingredient kit, what was wrong was your typical new brewer's worry and impatience, and your ignoring people like Yooper telling you that what you were experiencing including the tastes and smells were perfectly normal for the stage the beer was at.

You jumped the gun....on so many levels, you did 4 new brewer panic mistakes in one thread AND didn't listen to anyone who had seen all your issues before. We only answer these threads 20 or more times a day, and it's usually the same new brewer panic over and over and over, hence me having blogs or articles on all YOUR issues.

Guys you dissapoint me...you know if I'm not around, you can always just quote me, might have saved a batch of beer, and a few frayed nerves. :D

But, hbhudy, maybe YOU can learn from these. :mug:

i just read the first thread and noticed the OP said he rinsed his fermenting bucket 8 times.
8 times with what? if he sanitized then rinsed 8 times with tap water he unsanitized it and that could be the cause of the sour apple smell.
also - no one asked what he used to sanitize with at first.
just sayin....

The instructions said to use a 1/4 cup of bleach with water and let it sit for 4 hours or so.

The home brew store also said to just use bleach also.

This container was new and never used.

I rinsed with water like crazy to make sure there were no smells left and all the bleach was gone.

bleach can and does contribute to off flavours if not properly rinsed. 8 times should be sufficient rinsing - but if you rinsed with tap water you could(not for sure) but could have re-introduced contaminants. boiled and cooled water should be used for rinsing.
most brewers recommend a no rinse sanitizer such as starsan or iodofor.
OP i hope your beer turns out - as many have said - time usually heals all beers.
good luck - don't let this get you down.
rod

Mikedavid, I'm really glad you posted to another thread besides your "Slamming coopers kits" disaster. Everyone here has given you solid advice and you insist on ignoring everything, and basing your opinions on your FIRST BREW. You have no idea what you're talking about and you're really embarrassing yourself now. Please, for your own sake, take down your youtube videos, because they're really an embarrassment. Firstly, you wear the same clothes in every video, so maybe your sanitation ISN'T as good as you think. Secondly, you make comments that you have no idea about. A plastic fermenter that smells like plastic???? What should it smell like, aluminum??? Beer shouldn't sit in primary for 3 weeks????? You're insane, and your posts and videos are solid proof. READ A BOOK. As a matter of face, don't. Please change your hobby, because this one really isn't for you. Beer produces off flavors after being in primary for 3 weeks?????

Oh, and how do you tell, 2 days after bottling, that your beer won't carbonate? Your comments are so far off the deep end, it's ridiculous. Who on here is "waving your sword and shield for a particular company"? I've brewed 4 beers in the coopers fermenter and never had a problem, and they were all coopers cans.

You're a complainer, through and through. You complained about everything from the beginning, and never wanted to hear anything from anyone. Every single post I've read of yours has been a complaint of one way or another. If it's not about beer, it's about censorship. Please change your hobby or at least the forums you complain to. Nobody here wants to hear it, and all you are is a naysayer. You act like a child, which is an insult to children everywhere. My 4 year old is more coherent and mature than you, and she doesn't embarrass herself nearly as much. +1 on the ban hammer falling on you.Or just go away and save yourself the embarrassment of BEING banned......although it seems like you enjoy being embarrassed.

Not certain what is going on with the one person posting, but everyone else has given great advice...
I look forward to my next batch starting very soon (needed to wait on some back ordered bottles). I will definitely let this one go in the fermenter for roughly 3 weeks (but this will kill me {but I trust you folks with far more experience})...
I will be going the dark ale route (as I am a huge fan of black lagers {I do realize this is an ale and not a lager}) with opting for DME & Dextrose vs Brewing Sugars.
Thanks the great advice.

Not certain what is going on with the one person posting, but everyone else has given great advice...

It looks like some drama spilled over from another thread and a bunch of folks jumped in to make sure you got the right advice despite the other nonsene.

hbhudy said:
I look forward to my next batch starting very soon (needed to wait on some back ordered bottles). I will definitely let this one go in the fermenter for roughly 3 weeks (but this will kill me {but I trust you folks with far more experience})...

You're not the first one who's faced this issue...nor are you the 100,000th brewer on here who does. :D

But I have found that for the most part it's only new brewers who are that way, once you get a pipeline going, it really won't be an issue.

Here's an old discussion that might give you some insight. I had found in the back of my fridge a bottle of homebrew that had been in there for 3 months, and one of the new brewers on their first couple of batches couldn't fathom the idea.

How did you manage to keep a delicious chilled beer for 3 months? I'm lucky to keep a six pack cold for 3 weeks without downing them all.

Revvy said:
It's called having a pipeline, beers at different levels of readiness. With a pipleine and a full fridge with many choices it is easy to not have a taste for a certain beer for a while, or just not grab it from the back..this was something I wrote a few months ago, it sums up my pipeline at the time....

I leave 99% of my beers in primary for a month...then I bottle...and right now I can't get 70 degrees in my loft to save my life...so I don't expect ANY of my beers to be carbed on time....so in the interim, I buy mix sixers of various beers to try as research for the next beers I plan on brewing and to build up my bottle stock.

For Example, I brewed my Pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving on Labor Day...figuring at 8 weeks, I MIGHT have some ready for Holloween...But they were still green, so I only brought a couple to my annuual Halloween thingy, along with a sampler of commercial pumpkins...BUT come Turkey Day the beer was fantastic, and was a hit at the holiday.

Right now this is my current inventory...

Drinking....IPA, various bottles of Oaked Smoked Brown Ale, Smoked brown ale, Poor Richard's Ale, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (but as a Lager,)
Avoiding....Marris Otter/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH (It sucks)
Bottle Conditioning..... Chocolate Mole Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Peach Mead
In Primary.....Schwartzbier, Vienna Lager
Bulk Aging....Mead
Lagering....Dead Guy Clone Lager

Pretty much anything still in Primary or Lagering I will not be drinking til the end of March, but more than likely April....The Mole Porter needs a minimum several more weeks as well....but the Belgian Strong is prolly going to need 3-6 months to be ready...

The Swartzbier has 3 weeks more in primary, then another month lagering, THEN 3 weeks at least in the bottles...

Some weeks I take a break from my own beers to drink a couple sixers of samplers, so I don't drink ALL my current and other ready beers before the others comes online....Plus I'm craving a couple of styles that I don't have ready (like Vienna Lager) so I will make a bottle run....I also get to try new styles to come up with new ones to brew down the line.

And I'm also probably going to brew something this weekend...don't know what yet...maybe a low abv mild that I would only leave in primary till fermentation is stopped then bottled..so hopefully in a month they will drinkable.....

But do you see...you too one day will have a pipleine....and the wait will be nothing...you will have things at various stages...

This quote from one of my friends sums it up....

The nice thing is to get to a point in your pipeline where you are glancing through your BeerSmith brew log and realize that you have a beer that you have not even tried yet and it has been in bottle over 6 weeks. This happened to me this weekend. The beer was farging delicious.

I will tell you that I am at the opposite end of the extreme right now..My 87 year old mother spent most of the summer in the hospital, and I really only got to brew twice all summer, so I am really hurting right now. But I tend to nest more in the fall and winter, and do a lot of small batch brewing on my stove when the weather gets bad, and I have a couple of large brews schedule in november as well, so I will be back up by CHristmas I hope.

You can do it, I know you can. :D

Here's a great article from Oz.Craftbrewer.com, on how to make the best beer with cooper's kits...It's from Australia, the home of coopers, and from the craftbrewer radio guys.

Improving Your Kit

It's from the Craftbrewer Radio site...the article is a companion to.
April#2,2007

The guys get “Down and Dirty” for the Kit and Kilo brewer with the simplist yet method of making a kit beer that tastes great. They also taste the underpitched beer experiment, and follow up on a brewers problem with under-atttenuation. Our beer superhero tries to save the love of his life - and Wonder-Mole, while we look into a beer belly experiment. More on how to say beer words, drink driving, beer laws and a quiz question will fill out the program, with a typical Aussie beer tale sung at the end.

Click to listen;
http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/April2-07.mp3

Thanks Revvy.
One question.. For bottles I am assuming you are using glass vs PET?? I am looking forward to a point when I have a enough backlog (and bottles) to keep the cycle of life moving.:)

I have been straggling around want to do this for about 5yrs now and I am pot committed to this.. I am definitely looking to work my way through every kit once and then start altering from there to start to add new flavors. I have started my journal so we shall see how far we go once we start the experiments on altering batches..

Thanks Again..

I use mostly glass but i have a dozen Pet bottles that I use on occasion, usually for things like apfelwein rather than beer.

I have more glass bottles than I know what to do with. I have a standing offer for any homebrewer that needs a couple cases of cleaned bottles. I'll trade a sixer of home or micro for any case...or we can meet at a brew pub and they can buy me a couple pints. You don't happen to live in Michigan do you? I could set you up big time.

Thanks Revvy for the offer.
I would like to pick your brain and swap a some beers for bottles, but I am way to far for a beer (Atl), but I can say thanks and start to save up the glass bottles I go through on a regular basis.

What do you prime your bottles with? As the coopers carbonation drops are way to easy at this point and if I could leverage these drops a little longer that would be great.

Thanks Revvy for the offer.
I would like to pick your brain and swap a some beers for bottles, but I am way to far for a beer (Atl), but I can say thanks and start to save up the glass bottles I go through on a regular basis.

What do you prime your bottles with? As the coopers carbonation drops are way to easy at this point and if I could leverage these drops a little longer that would be great.

I use mostly standard corn/priming sugar, though I have primed with DME and Brown Sugar as well....

If you haven't seen it, check out my bottling tip thread...it sort of a community effort. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

:mug:

Thanks! I've started to read Palmer's book and it's excellent!! I'm reading a lot before I do my first brew and I'm picking up great tips on this board. Anyway, as to the OP, you should really get a load of his handy work on youtube. Complete with sound effect screams and orchestral crashes to emphasize the "horror" he's endured with the Coopers kit. He goes on and on about the Coopers bottler spout leaking... I think a little brew ending up on the floor is expected... Pffffffffffff

He's definitely got a bone to pick with Coopers for some reason and he won't listen to the tons of great advice he received here. He also hates a guy named Craigtube that did a Coopers video on youtube to great success. Craig made it clear he has no affiliation to Coopers. Anyway, thanks for pointing me toward Mr. Palmer. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information all. It's interesting, and runs contrary to what I always believed and practiced.

I always thought you wanted to get the beer off the lees because they could impart undesired flavours in the beer. I leave mine in the primary for 5-7 days, until vigorous fermentation is complete, then move it to a secondary for 1-2 weeks until it's reasonably clear.

I'll leave my current batch in my primary for at least 2 weeks this time and see how that works. Maybe that will decrease the yeasty flavours (is that what is refered to as green?) that I would like to tone down.

And a hearty Hear, hear to getting the pipeline filled. Haven't been terribly successful with that so far, having so much fun drinking my new homebrew and not being patient. Found myself 'sampling' my latest batch which had only been in bottles for 5 days just to see how it was coming along! (well, that, and I had just polished off the previous one)

Thanks for the information all. It's interesting, and runs contrary to what I always believed and practiced.

Well that's cause the info you use evolved from the oldschool ideas that came from a time when brewers were scared of their yeast. They believed that prolonged yeast contact was a bad thing- it contributed to things like the big homebrew Bogeyman, autolysis.

I still believe that POSSIBLY autolysis WAS a concern to homebrewers 20-30 years ago, when the yeast came in dry cakes, of dubious heritage and came across from where homebrewing was legalized in the hot cargo holds of ships and may have sat for months in terrible conditioned...In other words was unhealthy to begin with.

And therefore may have crapped out and made for nastiness, (and also was prone to stick fermentation as well.) and tales of it just continued to perpetuate over time, even though yeasts are much more healthy and fresh, and more is understood about them nowaday....people gravitate to the negative and fear and still perpetuate those worries...over and over and over....

And I still maintain that as much as I like Palmer, he contributed to the hysteria.....I mean noone but me seems to notice that that section on the scary autolysis appears in the chapter on lagering. He is not talking about it with ales...or beers in general..just lagers..because flaws are more perceptable in lagers...since in essence most commercial lagers are tasteless...anything would stand out..

and I think most new brewers have crapped themselves at the mere thought long before the notice the closer to the section either.

John Palmer

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Leaving the yeast alone, and letting the krausen fall through will act like a filter as it sinks, pulling down any proteins and other off flavor causes.

That's why also many of us leave out beers on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks, and skip secondaries. To let the yeast do their thing.

And like I said above..people get so frightened of autolysis that they don't even notice that elsewhere in the book in several places, he says it's beneficial to leave the beer on the yeast for a couple weeks post fermentation.

One thing to remember is that Papazian, as wonderful as it is, was written 30 years ago...and a lot of "science" or "common wisdom" that he as an author tapped into has evolved....all authors face this issue with their work.

Charlie Papazian said it But he might not necessarily say it now....see the difference?

His basic info is timeless....how to brew beer, figure out recipes, etc...but some of the info is just a reflection of the "opinions," or prevailing wisdom of the times, and may not even reflect his current beliefs...There's a podcast with Papazian from a year or so ago, where he talks about just having started using rice hulls in his mash ton...so if he doesn't update the book again, or write a new one, unless you've heard the podcast or read it on here, you won't KNOW about it.

.A book is a snapshot of the author's body of knowlege and the "common wisdom" at the time the author wrote the book, which may mean 3 years before it was even published. Papazian's book is 30+ years old. The basic knowlege is good, but brewing science and experience has progressed to where some things an author believes or says at that time may no-longer be valid...even to the author.

Most of the time when someone "revises" a book they don't necessarilly "re-write" the entire thing...and unless they annotated the changes, often all a "revised" edition has to make it up to date is a new introduction, and maybe the addition or removal of some things. But Rarely is a revision in a book a serious comb through of the entire book.

So it's not really conflicting, like so much of brewing you will find people believing and practicing things they read in books, while others are brewing based on information that is more current. This is an ever evolving hobby, and information and ideas change. And now with places like this with a huuge amount of dedicated and serious brewers, as well as all the podcasts online, you will find the most state of the art brewing info.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

:mug:

Well, that certainly is a shift in conventional wisdom wrt brewing techniques...and runs contrary to every extract kit leaflet I've ever seen (we ARE in the extract room:D). Don't worry, I'm listening, and am more than willing to consider what you are saying. Far be it from me to ever believe the sticker that says Contains No User Serviceable Parts

But, a follow on question, since I'm a (commercial) wine drinker. You can buy light whites, usually Chardonnays, that were aged 'sur lees' that have yeast-like tones to them. Would this be because they let the wine sit on the lees for an extended period of time? In the beer world, we talk about 'aging' for 3-4 weeks, or a real long period of time, like 6 months. With wine, of course, the years roll by...

Latest posts

Back