Do not use log cabin maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthompson116

Reaction score
Ok, so I made a winterfest brew a couple months ago. The recipe called for golden syrup which is a british type of breakfast syrup. I subbed log cabin maple syrup in its place since England is 2000 miles away. Well, needless to say, the brew has a bad aftertaste of log cabin. I brewed this before finding homebrewtalk.com and doing a quick search the good folks on here say only use real maple syrup. Anyhow, I'm stuck with log cabin winterfest beer. Oh well, I guess I'll drink it with my pancakes in the morning. 50 bottles left, but I'm not chucking it out. Hell 8% alcohol. I'll force it down. Anyone have a remedy for log cabin aftertaste? :drunk:

Just figured I'd give a heads up.

Thanks,

Chris

It doesn't SOUND that bad to me...then again if I described my pumpkin ale it wouldn't sound that bad either, but it was.

I actually used some maple extract in that beer and didn't really taste it. That definitely was not the culprit. I think it could be good in the right beer.

My advice: boil it down and put it on pancakes.

You could try adding some more spices to drown the flavor, but after tastes are hard to get rid of. Test in one glass first before dosing the whole batch.

The only part of log cabin syrup that came from a tree was the paper they used for the label.Sorry to hear it's not what you expected. Real maple syrup isn't cheap ,but you'd never believe the difference in flavor.

Pour a gallon into a stock pot, and place on your stove. Warm to a slow boil, and add in 1 cup of spiced rum, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1/4 of a green apple, and 1/2 of an orange. Simmer for 15 minutes. If it's not sweet enough, add 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

Serve warm on a cold winter day! :mug:

Thanks for the link. Anyhow, During that brew, I was not prepared. Well, when the recipe called for golden syrup, well... frankly, f it whats in the fridge. ok 2lbs of log cabin it is. :ban:

Chris

Pour a gallon into a stock pot, and place on your stove. Warm to a slow boil, and add in 1 cup of spiced rum, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1/4 of a green apple, and 1/2 of an orange. Simmer for 15 minutes. If it's not sweet enough, add 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

Serve warm on a cold winter day! :mug:

Damn...sounds Yummy!!!!!!

Yeah, I've got 5 gallons of EdWort's Apfelwine bubbling happily away now. 2 gallons are getting bottled as is, 2 are going to get carbonated, and 1 is going into this recipe. I'll post results when they're available. :D

Back