Specialty Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
When I steep my specialty gains am I suppose to move them around to release more? and if so how much? or do I just let them sit there? Also after the steeping is done do I squeeze out the grains and get all the juice back in the pot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to know as well.

I usually apply pressure with a spoon to work the grains around in the bag but not sure if its needed. Also, I used to squeeze the bag after pulling out of the pot but have read that this is not ideal, so from now on I'll let them drip for a minute and then throw away.

Instead of squeezing, you can rinse any remaining goodness out of the bag by pouring a few cups of warm (~150 degree) water over it.

I following this procedure from Palmer's book...

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Example Batch

Procedure:

The procedure is identical to that for extract brewing. However, the specialty grains will be steeped in the pot before the extract is added. The 3 gallons of water in the boiling pot is heated until it reaches 160°F +/- 10°. Then the grain bag is immersed in the pot for 30 minutes. The grain bag may be dunked and swirled like a tea bag during this time to make sure that all of the grain is wetted. Agitation will help to improve the yield. Remove the grain bag from the pot, giving it a squeeze to drain the excess wort and avoid dripping on the stove.

DON'T SQUEEZE! You'll release tannins which will make your beer bitter/astringent.

Tea-bagging is good, and you can pour some hot water (150*-170*) over the bag. Also, after letting it drip for a while, put the grain bag in a colander in a bowl, and pour the drippings back in during the boil.

DON'T SQUEEZE! You'll release tannins which will make your beer bitter/astringent.

Tea-bagging is good, and you can pour some hot water (150*-170*) over the bag. Also, after letting it drip for a while, put the grain bag in a colander in a bowl, and pour the drippings back in during the boil.

Like Biff Tannins? Sorry....couldn't resist and I'm sure I'm not the first to make that lame joke.

Anyhow....

I didn't know this. I've always squeezed mine out. What is the impact on the beer when you do this? Is the bitterness a slight or fairly significant flavor?

+1 I actually do 150-160 for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally in muslin bag, then I have a large strainer I pull it out and let it drip in the pot while I bring it up to a boil. The posted threads are good resources :)

+1

Sparge the grains by pouring warm water through them into the pot. Avoid squeezing as mentioned above.

So after reading through these threads, all innuendo aside, it looks like there is no clear answer. Some say it releases tannins others say it's a myth.

All I can say is that I've usually squeezed out my grains to get as much of the liquid out of there as possible and I haven't had any of the bitterness or astringency in my beer. That is not to say it won't happen, just that it hasn't happened to me.

What about batch sparging?

Soak your grains at 150 for 20-30 min in 1 gallon of water. Near the end of that soak, heat another pot with another gallon to 150 and switch the grain bag from the old pot to the fresh one for 10-15 min. Then combine both gallons with your extract and you're good to go.

I put the grain bag in a strainer over the pot, then pour about 2 qts of 170* water over it. You can watch the goodness running out the bottom of the strainer.

It does seem that the squeezing thing is just a myth. Someone should try a split batch -- squeeze the grains into a second pot, top off with wort from the first pot to get equal volumes, and compare at the end. Just to be sure.

My understanding is tannins are released from steeping in water that is over 170, and definitely if you boil the grains. There are many threads that mention it when i did a quick search.

Back