kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltabrewster

Reaction score
Newbie here. Looking for advice on comparing John Bull Kit vs Cooper Kit. Wanting to try an Irish Stout kit. (I luv Guinness Extra Stout!) Also, can anyone tell me what the final al-key-haul content will be useing these kits? Thanks in advance. All info will be appreciated.

I don't care for cooper's kits, period.

the kit ingredients dictate the final ABV %.

Forget using sugar as the recipe on the can recommends! Get a pound or two of extract and use that instead. These would be a starter beer for a nOOB and make okay beer for your first one. Try a kit with steeping grains for your second.

mrk305 said:
Forget using sugar as the recipe on the can recommends! Get a pound or two of extract and use that instead. These would be a starter beer for a nOOB and make okay beer for your first one. Try a kit with steeping grains for your second.
Are you refering to malt extract? If so, what kind would you reccomend?

There are several different kinds of extract, both dry and liquid. All of them are pretty much ok, as long as it's simply malt extract (no hops added).

I've seen Muntons dry malt extract (DME) most often in homebrew stores, but I know there are other kinds.

Some online stores sell the liquid malt extract in tubs, so I don't know what the actual brand is. Here's a picture:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/malt-extract.html

I like to buy the lightest I can- and then I can use it in any beer at all. I usually have extra light DME on hand.

I haven't used the liquid malt extract (LME) in a very long time, but I do remember that you should make sure it's as fresh as possible.

sorry I didn't actually answer your question about stout kits! If it were me, I'd try one from northernbrew.com or austinhomebrew.com, or a Brewer's Best kit. Those are proven and good kits. I don't have any idea about the Coopers or John bull kits.

YooperBrew said:
sorry I didn't actually answer your question about stout kits! If it were me, I'd try one from northernbrew.com or austinhomebrew.com, or a Brewer's Best kit. Those are proven and good kits. I don't have any idea about the Coopers or John bull kits.
Thanks for the info.

Personally I like coopers kits the best. I have tried pretty much all of them and have had great result all around. They have lots of different styles to pick from - ironically I think he only coopers style I didnt try was the stout lol

If you decide to make that one lemme know how it turns out - and if you need any help making it let me know - im sure you will be happy with the final result

deltabrewster said:
Newbie here. Looking for advice on comparing John Bull Kit vs Cooper Kit. Wanting to try an Irish Stout kit. (I luv Guinness Extra Stout!) Also, can anyone tell me what the final al-key-haul content will be useing these kits? Thanks in advance. All info will be appreciated.

I don't know about the ones you listed, but I have the True Brew on tap right now and it is a real big hit with everyone who tries it. I am thinking about doing it again and adding oats or maybe trying a vanilla stout.

I brewed that kit and it tasted nothing like guiness. If you want a guiness clone I suggest not using a kit. Not saying to use it but Ill show you my guiness clone recipe.

6# Light DME

1 lb roasted,
.5 lb Crystal 55,
.25 lb black,
.3 lb acidulated malt, 1 lb flaked barley

1 oz Target 6aau,
.5 oz Kent Goldings 4 aau: 60 minutes.
No aroma hops

Nottingham Yeast

Back