Help I'm a newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deacon198106

Reaction score
I have recently become enthraled with home brewing. Although I have not started my equipment collection yet. I do have questions about the recipes. I don't know what the acronyms mean, example: IBU, OG, HLT, MLT. Is there some where I can go to find out the meanings of the acronyms? Sorry for my ignorance but any help is appreciated.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

I have recently become enthraled with home brewing. Although I have not started my equipment collection yet. I do have questions about the recipes. I don't know what the acronyms mean, example: IBU, OG, HLT, MLT. Is there some where I can go to find out the meanings of the acronyms? Sorry for my ignorance but any help is appreciated.

Welcome aboard! There certainly is a learning curve to the language here. Don't be intimidated though. What questions do you have about recipes? We can probably answer them without all the acronyms at first to help get you started.

There definitely is a steep learning curve to pick up all the terms... but we'll all help as much as we can... we want to get you hooked quick. ;)

I believe I am getting the acronyms down for the most part now. I am a drafter at heart and so I like to draw out everything I do. I have looked up equipment designs to get some ideas and noticed that some pictures have more of those acronyms on the kettles. I do know that BK means brew kettle. I am also pretty sure that MLT is the mash tun. But what is the one labeled HLT?

MLT = Mash/Lauter Tun
This is referred to as such when it is the vessel you would perform the mash and also sparging (rinsing) the grains.

HLT = Hot Liquor tank
I think its only necessary if you are going to fly sparge. Batch sparging requires no such vessel. It's just to hold hot water for sparging.

Both of these pieces of equipment are for all-grain brewing where you start with the grains, mash (let rest in 150-158 degree farenheit water for an hour), then separate the sugary liquid from the grains (called wort).

I think most beginning brewers start with extract brewing where you would not perform a mash and thus, not need the MLT or HLT. Some people do start with all-grain brewing. It just requires more time and additional equipment. I would recommend getting a BK of 10 gallons and start with full boil extract batches. Then if you decide you really do enjoy it as a hobby/obsession, you can always add an MLT (and a HLT if you want to fly sparge).

Also, check out youtube videos on homebrewing. I also recommend reading How to Brew by John Palmer.

Welcome to the community and homebrewing. Don't be afraid to ask these questions. :mug:

Latest posts

Back