How long can I store ground malt and hops (pellets 90) after I have opened the bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am about to buy 25 kilos of MO and obviously I wont use it all....the same story is true for the hops...I might buy a 2 lbs (simply a lot cheaper to buy 2 lbs of pellets 90 than just the required amount for my batch)...but I dont know how long and how I should store them to keep them fresh as long as it is possible.

My understanding is that uncrushed malted barley will last at least a year in a sealed container if kept in a relatively cool dry place. Crushed barley will stay good for around 3 months provided it is sealed and dry. Not sure about the hops. I think they go faster.

My understanding is that uncrushed malted barley will last at least a year in a sealed container if kept in a relatively cool dry place. Crushed barley will stay good for around 3 months provided it is sealed and dry. Not sure about the hops. I think they go faster.

Even the pellets?

thanks for the answer.

This Guide tells you how much alpha acid various hops lose after six months of storage at 20 degrees C (and you adjust your bittering for that). That *implies* that otherwise they stay good, doesn't it???

Then again my LHBS told me to put my hops in the freezer. So I dunno.

But It seems you are probably fine. At any rate, you've got months to figure out the answer.

My LHBS told me that hops should be stored in a cold chamber in a sealed bag with no air. They could last 1-2 years if stored properly. He also told me that they don't really loose AA over the time if stored properly (Not enough to make you recalculate your recipes at least). This information comes from Hops Union which are their main hops supplier. They meet them sometimes and talk about hops and what not and this is the information they told him.

Hops stored in the freezer could suffer from frost bite over the time.

He also said as a confirmation that hops don't really loose their AA if stored properly otherwise he would need to tests his hops (they have a huge amount...) often to recalculate their AA which doesn't really make sense (since they don't and nobody does). Hops are gathered once per year.
Like everything else, we might not be able to take this as "pure gold" but my LHBS is very big and the main supplier of most non huge commercial (BMC) brewery. They are well informed and knows about their stuff.

Back