3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone done both the extract and the all grain recipe? Is there a big difference in taste/color between the two?

I've brewed the extract version 3 times and all grain once. The all grain was the best. It received 2nd place at my brew club last month.
The all grain was dead on with hop flavor. Color was the best out of all the batches. Extract brews were darker. Which is to be expected. I bought 4 cases of the real thing back in July and in blind comparisions most people have chosen mine over the real thing as far as which they like best. :ban:

I Love this recipe and so has everyone thats tried it. I will be brewing another batch soon and since this is so good I've sold off some of the real thing because I like mine just as good as 3Floyds version. Much cheaper too!

Drinking my brew today, man I love citra! Mango peaches, papaya, and bitterness what a great beer.

I used s-04 and think it was awesome, even nonbeer lover said "it didn't make me gag" when they drank it.

I am brewing 5g of this on Sunday. My last version had 50% Citra and 50% Amarillo. This next version will have 30% Citra, 30% Amarillo, and 30% Simcoe.
I'm pretty excited about. All my friends love this homebrew.
For the version after that, I'm going to brew the original Citra recipe, but I'm going to use US-05 and see what that does.

eanmcnulty said:
I am brewing 5g of this on Sunday. My last version had 50% Citra and 50% Amarillo. This next version will have 30% Citra, 30% Amarillo, and 30% Simcoe.
I'm pretty excited about. All my friends love this homebrew.
For the version after that, I'm going to brew the original Citra recipe, but I'm going to use US-05 and see what that does.

How did the amarillo/citra compare to the original?

doublehaul said:
How did the amarillo/citra compare to the original?

Really nice!

My first clone brew was spot on: color, flavor, aroma...

The Citra/Amarillo was different: not as aromatic, the color was darker (not sure why that was), and the flavor not as strong. Overall it was really tasty. Perhaps the Amarillo is just not as bold as the Citra.

It is the best thing I brew now.

The grain bill on the first page appears to be for a 6 gallon post boil batch. I found a 5 gallon recipe at Brewmasterswarehouse: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/371a3c65/

However when I plugged it into Brewpal, I got a post boil OG of 1.063 and 51 IBUs. I typically do a split boil with 7 gallons pre-boil and end up between 5 - 5.25 gallons post-boil. Does anyone have a good 5 Gallon conversion for the grain and hop bill? Thanks.

I didn't scale the late hops, as the additional flavor/aroma wont hurt, but if you want to just change all of the 1.00oz additions to .83oz each.

Batch Size: 5.00
Boil Volume: 6.84

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.3 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
0.40 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.40 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
0.62 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
2.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 66.2 IBU

Kegged my second version of this on Tuesday... Only change was a .25 of magnum in at 60 min.

Pulled a sample tonight (2 days in..couldn't help myself) Pinnaple / mango explosion!

So good, but could use a little more bitterness. Perhaps the 3 oz of dry hops is masking some of the bitterness at this stage?

Either way.. stellar beer!

I just cracked my first one open and wow. This is delicious. Mine came out a bit hoppier as the citra I got had a pretty high AA. I used the extract recipe and the malt and color are spot on. I'm going to brew the all grain next time as I just finished my mash tun the other day. Thanks for the recipe!

So here's a bit of a curve ball. I brewed sort of a brown IPA, nothing to do with Zombie Dust, with a combination of Amarillo, and Chinook. It turned out the hop profile of this combination is pretty much spot on with ZD.

I have tried to make ZD twice before. First was all Citra, next was 50/50 Citra and Simcoe. Neither were nearly as close as Amarillo/Chinook.

I gave a friend one of these beers, not mentioning anything about ZD, and the first thing he said was, "this smells exactly like Zombie Dust"

J343MY said:
So here's a bit of a curve ball. I brewed sort of a brown IPA, nothing to do with Zombie Dust, with a combination of Amarillo, and Chinook. It turned out the hop profile of this combination is pretty much spot on with ZD.

I have tried to make ZD twice before. First was all Citra, next was 50/50 Citra and Simcoe. Neither were nearly as close as Amarillo/Chinook.

I gave a friend one of these beers, not mentioning anything about ZD, and the first thing he said was, "this smells exactly like Zombie Dust"

Please pm me the recipe!

Please pm me the recipe!

next time I brew this I am going to try something like this:

91% 2-row
5% Melanoiden
4% White wheat

0.5 columbus at 60mins
1oz chinook & 1 oz amarillo at 10mins
2oz chinook & 2 oz amarillo whirlpool

Wyeast 1968

Dry Hop with 2oz chinook & 2oz amarillo for about a week

Not gonna say it doesn't smell like the real deal since i haven't smelled it, but ZD is a citra beer (used to be advertised as all citra).

Not gonna say it doesn't smell like the real deal since i haven't smelled it, but ZD is a citra beer (used to be advertised as all citra).

Exactly. it used to be advertised as all citra, but it isn't anymore, which makes me think they may have changed it. Perhaps when they decided to start bottling it, they just couldn't contract for enough citra, so it changed.

On my first attempt with all citra, the hop profile wasn't even in the same realm as ZD. ZD has some pine, which you just don't get will all citra. I tried Citra/Simcoe, and it still wasn't there.

It may be something like citra/chinook. but the chinook/amarillo was the closest thing I have found so far.

I find it highly unlikely it would go from all citra to no citra.

Your last few posts haven't added anything of value to this discussion. All I was saying is that I don't think its all citra anymore. More likely it could be a combo of citra and something else. It's also in the realm of possibility that it doesn't contain citra at all anymore.

J343MY said:
Your last few posts haven't added anything of value to this discussion. All I was saying is that I don't think its all citra anymore. More likely it could be a combo of citra and something else. It's also in the realm of possibility that it doesn't contain citra at all anymore.

This has all been discussed already. There may have been a change, likely to the bittering hop. Someone who knew one of the Floyd's chimed in thinking that was the case as well. No one is absolutely positive if they began using something else, but we do know they no longer advertise it as all Citra.

I'll agree. I strongly believe they are bittering it with something other than Citra. This won't have a huge affect on a clone recipe, other allowing you to cut back on the amount of Citra needed.

I highly doubt there's anything other than Citra after the bittering addition. I've heard FFFs talk about how they want to try to phase out Amarillo, so I can't seen them adding Amarillo to the recipe. Not to say Amarillo won't make a tasty beer.

Now for the heart of my rant. Hops of the same variety VARY. A LOT

Over the past year, I've bought Citra from four sources. All four hops smelled different. I could tell they were all similar, and were all Citra, but they were different. Soil conditions, growing conditions, when the farmers trained the bines, when the hops were harvested, the process and temperature of the pelletizer, which way the damn wind was blowing, etc all influence the hop.

This is one thing that homebrewers really don't realize. Commercial brewers choose their hops every year. And I don't mean they choose between varieties. No, they literally choose which cascade they want. Hop Union will give them a chunk of hops cut from the bale (called a brewer's cut) of say, Citra from various farms. They will then choose which they like the best.

Simcoe is a great example because it's only grown by three hop farmers. Brewers will tell you (there's a video out there of Vinnie talking about) that all three are a little bit different. He uses all three, but only uses one for dry hopping, and only uses another early in the boil.

So getting back to my point about Citra. One of the four batches of Citra I got was ridiculously tropical fruit-like. It just absolutely reeked like fruit punch, so much, that it was hard to smell the hop. Another was a nice mix of tropical fruit and citrus, another was a mix of heavy resin and mango, and the final one was mostly resin, and was a little bit catty.

So say I brew 4 batches of Zombie dust using those four different batches of Citra. They are going to taste different. Two or three of them will taste a lot like ZD, but the hop that was resiny and catty probably won't be that close. FFF's probably didn't choose a catty crop of Citra when they got their brewer's cuts. Make sense?

CTZ is probably the best example. Dry hop a beer with crappy CTZ, and you'll know what I'm talking about. CTZ is great when it's 'good'. Dank, resin, a little citrus, and very 'cannabis' like. When it's bad, it's oniony, musty, and almost dirty tasting.

This is one area where homebrewers are still at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to ingredients. We're often stuck with whatever the LHBS has. Especially with the popular aroma varieties.

rant

Submitted mine to the comp out here. Man it was hazy, there was extra citra in my hop packs so I ended up dry hopping with 4 ounces in each 5 gallon fermenter. Hopefully I won't get docked too bad for the haziness but man was it hoppy! You bring up a great point scottland, the citra I am using mainly is resinous with strong mango flavor. I get a lot of the flavors from torpedo IPA. But I agree this is a great recipe. I might try it again with different hops just because of how hard it is to get citra, some simcoe might be a nice addition I love that little bit of pine it imparts.

So getting back to my point about Citra. One of the four batches of Citra I got was ridiculously tropical fruit-like. It just absolutely reeked like fruit punch, so much, that it was hard to smell the hop. Another was a nice mix of tropical fruit and citrus, another was a mix of heavy resin and mango, and the final one was mostly resin, and was a little bit catty.

I have experienced this exact same thing with Citra. The first batch I made of this recipe tasted like an over ripe mango. So fruity it was cloying.

The next batch a friend and I brewed was a lot more on the citrus side with balanced fruitiness. Very close to the original.

I wonder what this years Citra from Hops Direct will be like? I was planning on brewing this again soon - hoping for the balanced Citra and not the over ripe mango.

I have experienced this exact same thing with Citra. The first batch I made of this recipe tasted like an over ripe mango. So fruity it was cloying.

The next batch a friend and I brewed was a lot more on the citrus side with balanced fruitiness. Very close to the original.

I wonder what this years Citra from Hops Direct will be like? I was planning on brewing this again soon - hoping for the balanced Citra and not the over ripe mango.

That's my favorite. I got a pound of it last year, and I'm still nursing it. It was the Citrus mixed with tropical fruit. There's some resin in there too. It was a really good crop. FYI Hops Direct (Puterbaugh Farms) doesn't grow Citra. They source a good chunk Citra, but I believe they pelletize it themselves.

My second fav was from Morebeer. Not sure where they buy in bulk from (brewer's supply group maybe?) That was the heavy resin and mango one. It was really, really oily, with a really nice dank character that really worked with the tropical fruit.

Of the other two, one were Hop Union packs, and the fourth i can't remember. I store them in mason jars and vacuum bags, so I forget which was which.

Just tasted my Zombie Dust Clone. My god, the nose on this beer is so amazing (with 9.25 ounces of Citra it better be). It has only been one week since I kegged it and is not fully carbed yet. It is going to take a **** ton of will power to stay away from this one for another week. Thanks for the recipe.

Got silver medal at the local comp in pale ale category with this recipe! Even though I came out a little strong at 6.5%. Great beer I think I am liking it more as it ages and the flavors start blending a bit.

I was at the brewery two weeks ago. I was able to enjoy ZD on tap and also bought two cases on my way out.

Today's ZD is not 100% Citra. This was confirmed by folks at the brewery. There is a strong aroma from the Citra so it's more likely they are bittering with something else....my palate suggests Columbus and using Citra as a dry hop.

The key to replicating this beer is FWH to smooth the bitterness, and avoiding any hops that are piney/resinous. Avoid Simcoe or any dank hop. ZD is designed to emphasize the Citra hops balanced with a smooth bitterness.

Note: of the 3 Floyds, only one is active with the brewery. The father does a little landscaping but that's it. One brother is completely disconnected from the brewery. This was also confirmed by the folks at the brewery.

My next batch I might try magnum as the 60 min addition just for bittering. It's clean and shouldn't hurt the recipe. I just want to save as much Citra as possible since it seems to be going quick this year and I only ordered a pound.

I tried waiting, but threw a bottle in the fridge after a week. It's been awhile since I had the real deal, but I think the color of mine is a little darker. But it smelled like Zombie Dust and seemed to taste pretty close as well. I tried a Summit Sága recently and could smell the Citra, so it reminded me of that as well. I'm a day away from the rest being in bottles for two weeks, and I know of a pub that may put on a keg of the real deal this week. I'm going to try to either get a growler or take a couple of bottles of mine in to do a side by side tasting. It may be put on tap on Halloween, so I may be out of luck.

Thanks for the recipe. This was my third batch of homebrew. The first two were Northern Brewer kits so this was my first batch from a recipe. I have a feeling I'll be preordering a bunch of Citra soon.

Anyone have any tips on clearing out the beer after the dryhop? I dryhopped in a fine mesh bag with glass marbles to keep it submerged, but the final result was hazy. I used Irish moss in the boil and use clarex to make gluten drop for my gluten sensitive wife (it does work for her)- but still got cloudy beer. Tasted fantastic though.

It'll clear, given time in bottles or a keg. You could cold crash it for a couple days of you'd like. Most dry hopped beers I've made we're cloudy at first too.

It's a good idea to pre-order your Citra now. The Citra hop makes such a good beer that it will be used even more this year.

Regardless of todays brewery ZD, skeezer's all Citra recipe is fantastic. Working some other bittering hops is a good idea to ensure you have enough Citra for flavor/aroma.

I have brewed 6 batches of ZD-like pale ale. All used Citra at flameout and for dry hopping....some used Citra throughout. Other than one batch where I used a bit too much Amarillo, the beers were identical in flavor and aroma. You could blind taste test them with ZD and you could not notice differences.

Note: Odd Sides (Western Michigan) Citra Pale Ale is worth getting your hands on. A little less bite than ZD but another excellent Citra beer.

Doesnt seem like they are accepting preorders anymore, :( I go through a lot of Citra too, need to find some and order a lot. My favorite IPA is inspired by this recipe and is my staple brew to have on tap. I still have about a pound left but that will go quickly

Check out Farmhouse Brewing Supply. it's my go to vendor these days for hops. I don't think he has '12 Citra yet but his pricing is always awesome.

He hooked me up with lbs o Citra an Amarillo last year when I couldn't find them anywhere else, even the $3/oz LHBS!

Hopsdirect sold out in a minute. I feel like I'm trying to buy tickets to dark lord day, all over again.

theveganbrewer said:
I have enough citra to make 8 zombie dust clones yet I still feel I need more.

I've got 3 pounds in the freezer from the 11 pounder last year, but at ~12 ounces per batch, it goes fast.

Schnibbz said:
Hopsdirect sold out in a minute. I feel like I'm trying to buy tickets to dark lord day, all over again.

Nah, it took at least 3-5 min. They went on a bit before 8pm. Wish it wasnt a 1 lb limit.

Latest posts

Back