Cocoa powder kills krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
So I just finished making a killer looking Mint Chocolate Stout recipe, and it's raging in the carboy as I type this.

It called for 8oz of unsweetened cocoa powder the last 5 mins. As you can imagine, it looks a bit hot-chocolate-ish, and I noticed that no krausen is really building on the beer.

However, it IS churning quite a bit, but all bubbles pop when they surface, creating a sparkle-like effect. Is this normal when adding cocoa powder? I have no doubt that the beer is fine, but I'm curious.

Cocoa powder contains 10-15% cocoa butter, which can kill the krausen. Don't expect a good head on the pour either.

Cocoa powder contains 10-15% cocoa butter, which can kill the krausen. Don't expect a good head on the pour either.

This contained 2% fat total content. I read anything below 3% is pretty acceptable. Given that I'm going to cold crash it, and am kegging it, I think I'll be fine in regards to head retention and/or carbonation.

I made a chocolate stout with 8oz of cocoa powder. The krausen doesn't seem to form because of the thin film of fat on top. I cold crashed then racked from the bottom. The film on top did not make it into the keg. It had great head retention.

Might be the yeast. My chocolate stout uses 8 ounces of low fat cocoa powder at the end of the boil (5g batch) and without a 1" ID blow-off hose my ferm fridge would have a thick layer of goo from all the 'splosions.

Rehydrated S04 running at 67°F. The Beast Of The Yeast don't care 'bout no stinking cocoa ;)

Cheers!

(ps: I get wicked good head on my stouts)

So I just finished making a killer looking Mint Chocolate Stout recipe, and it's raging in the carboy as I type this.

It called for 8oz of unsweetened cocoa powder the last 5 mins. As you can imagine, it looks a bit hot-chocolate-ish, and I noticed that no krausen is really building on the beer.

However, it IS churning quite a bit, but all bubbles pop when they surface, creating a sparkle-like effect. Is this normal when adding cocoa powder? I have no doubt that the beer is fine, but I'm curious.

So, it didn't explode out and paint the ceiling last night?

I would have gone with the Dutch Cocoa.

Back