Any suggestions on how to save my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

Reaction score
This was supposed to be an APA:

11.3 lbs American 2-row Pale
.75 Munich Malt
.75 lbs Victory malt
.5 lbs wheat malt

OG=1.056
IBUs~40 (calculated)

Yeast: American Ale yest

Brew day went off without a hitch except that I realized (after it was in the fermentor) that I had forgotten to add 3/4 lbs of Munich Malt :cross:

Any ideas on what I might consider adding at this point to replace the malty backbone it was supposed to have?

Crazy idea: How much head space do you have? 5 gallons of beer in a 6 gallon carboy? If so you have about 1/2 gallon of wiggle room that you could use. Bring 3/4 gallon water to mash temp...mash in 3/4lb of 2 row and the 3/4 lb of munich. You would get a gravity around 1.055 (depending on efficiency) and your grain absorption would be around 1/4 gallon.

^Note, I've never tried this..but in theory..!

I wouldn't mess with it....I've screwed up too many beers by trying to save them! That small amount of Munich won't make all that difference anyway. Just brew it again the right way.

Funny, I would purposely leave the Munich out since I'm not a fan of it.

Yeah. Kinda what I would advise somebody else to do so I had better take the advice and let fermenting beers be (though I think all it would take would be for me to add quart of wort that was water+Munich [email protected]... :)

I agree with Denny... don't mess with it... especially over 3/4 lb. Next time brew with the Munich, and note any differences.
:mug:

dannedry said:
I agree with Denny... don't mess with it... especially over 3/4 lb. Next time brew with the Munich, and note any differences.

Exactly this

I also just brewed a beer where i followed my recipe but it was the wrong version of the recipe. I was debating on fixing it but then decided that since it was already fermenting away i will just rebrew it the right way next time. Also messing with it would require alot more work than i wanted to do.

I wouldn't mess with it....I've screwed up too many beers by trying to save them! That small amount of Munich won't make all that difference anyway. Just brew it again the right way.

The only bad beer I have made, is one I tried to "fix"

Exactly this

Add me to this list.

You have a much bigger chance of ruining your beer by trying to fix it than to leave it alone. And .75 pounds is not going to make much difference.

Back