The Dark Crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Want a BAD acid trip? Take a hit or 2 and watch this messed up movie.

I remembered liking this thing as a kid, but I think I just latched onto things like "hot chick with wings"(I was 5) monsters that look kinda cool, etc.

I put this on netflix streaming for my 3 kids and then sat there in stunned silence for a while. WHAT THE HELL???????

It is creative, but it is SO bizarro, and the semi obvious puppetry only adds to the effed uppedness.

Gross metro-sexual lizards capture cuddly doll looking, glow worm baby people and drink their juices.....(??!?!!??!?!?)

Big turtle/camel people meditate and sing, elves prance around naked (at least the boy one, while he plays with his flute) wierd goblin women take out their eyes, LOTS of Jim Henson's friends prance around in imaginative costumes..............it is all just a chromasome or 2 short of a "GOOD" movie. What's not to love?

My kids couldn't stop making fun of it, and admit to morbidly wanting to see it again....

LOL! I was just talking to my wife about this movie about a month ago! I wanted to show it for my kids (7 & 3) but she thought I was crazy. Granted my kids are kind of wussy but still, it's a great crazy film! I might have to revisit the conversation... :D

My kids are a little sheltered (No "Alines vs Predator" like my neighbor lets their 10 year old watch) but this may give them nightmares.

Extracting and drinking "essence" is pretty sick.

I think kids of today are too damned sheltered all around. When we (speaking for myself and my group of friends as a kid, I dunno about anyone else) were growing up through the 70s we watched all kinds of stuff that would turn these kids today inside out. Gritty real-life stuff like Sands of Iwo Jima, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc. Crazy 50s/60s B-movie horror like The Mole People (that was a crazy movie) to things like The Exorcist. I was about 8 or 9 when I first saw it on TV... at night... alone... You're right about Dark Crystal being weird, it is... but at the time it wasn't that big of a deal. I think I was about 13 when it came out and I liked it, thought it was cool, but didn't get freaked by it in any way.

I have let my kids watch certain weird PG-13 films or certain R films with me to be sure they a) saw it with ME and b) wouldn't be freaked when they saw stuff elsewhere. The Patriot for instance... not a weird movie, but a lot of the battle scenes were very gritty and realistic. I think my oldest daughter was maybe 7 or so when she watched it with me the first time. It gave a good jumping off point for a history lesson and a talk about what war could really be like.

I ramble... LOL

I grew up with weird stuff like that. I was born in 1985, so I saw labyrinth and dark crystal millions of times.

I came out alright...maybe?

.....I'm off to find some glow worms, need my essence fix....

I wasn't really saying that the Dark crystal would scar them, I let my 4 year old watch that.

Aliens vs Predator? Not only is it barely watchable crap (coming from a BIG fan of both Alien and Predator) the gratuitous violence is in no way historical, and some of it could give kids 10 and under (mine) serious nightmares.

I think that some sheltering is good parenting.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Make em' watch The Dark Crystal and Labarynth back to back.

But if they watch labyrynthe then you have to explain why some men look like women who look like men.

Yeah this was on over the weekend, so I kept it on while I was working on something on the computer. I hadn't seen it since it came out, but watching it the other day I was just like, "WTF were they thinking?"

Sort of like Fraggle Rock. When I was a kid FR was AWESOME!

We turned it on from the Netflix Instant and my kids were like "If that was all you had to watch, why didn't you just go outside and play?"

That child was barely 5 at the time.

Sort of like Fraggle Rock. When I was a kid FR was AWESOME!

We turned it on from the Netflix Instant and my kids were like "If that was all you had to watch, why didn't you just go outside and play?"

That child was barely 5 at the time.

I know. I guess it is like that for every generation.

I was never made to watch punch and judy, but I probably would have rolled eyes.

my kids love the dark crystal, they also like the never ending story, which was a favorite of mine as a kid

i fall asleep at the same point of the Dark Crystal every time i've tried to watch it.

Did the sequel they were supposedly making recently every come out ?

You think it is strange now. Either turn your TV upside down or a computer monitor or if you have fancy new stuff change the orientation. Then drink 6 homebrews and watch it. It is an entirely different movie that way.

I 1st watched it as an adult. Obviously it's a movie with puppets, but it's not a bad story, not even a "bad" movie really. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was truly a BAD movie. Dark Crystal certainly had it's shortcomings; like the creatures the gelflings ride: OBVIOUSLY people in a suit with crutches. You can't help but roll your eyes at that & think "seriously? that's the best they could do?"

It's a classic story of good vs evil, in a fairytale setting; how is this any worse than Pinnochio or Peter Pan? Is it just the puppets? I know Dark Crystal isn't anywhere close to the same level of greatness that the Lord of the Rings movies are; not in the story & not in the production, but I'll rank Dark Crystal as a good movie to watch once in a great while, especially with kids. If the kids hate it, we can watch The Adventures of Baron Munchausen or the news instead. (heh heh heh).
Regards, GF.

I remember watching this as kid as well as labryinth and neverending story. I also remember a kind of dark cartoon called, the last unicorn . of course I also had the hobbit and return of the king cartoons by Rankin/Bass. Both great toons.

Lots of good stuff out there. some of it "is" wierd but still good stuff

Ha, thought for sure I was going to see an inspired recipe in here somewhere. . . You know, full of something like 120L . . .

I have one thing to say about the Dark Crystal and it is about the party scene roughly 1/2 way through the movie. The party that gets broken up by the giant insect squad. That party looks awesome! Everyone is having an amazing time in that scene.

Too bad it gets ruined.

Semi-related, I got "silly" and re-watched Labyrinth with a group of people that had also "gotten silly" and found ourselves rooting for David Bowie (whose crotch was apparently the start of the movie).

'shame that crazy over-dramatic girl was trying to take that poor baby away from that nice gay man with the frizzy hair and his singing & dancing Muppets.

Did someone say Jennifer Connelly?

Anyway, I watched Dark Crystal as a kid and it was ok. I always thought the muppets were the worst part, but the story and production were interesting. It's been a long time.

I bet if I put it on now the kids would start an MST3K session on it. I'm pretty sure they saw it a few years ago. They are definitely getting too old for it now.

Ok, I'm going back to thinking about 16 yo Jennifer Connelly again. Bye.

That was also a great messed up movie! I saw that as a kid and remember being scared of that damn drinking skeleton!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUnicorn!!!!!!!

My kids laughed so much about that stupid unicorn movie.

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPER corn SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPER corn!

around halloween, it was CAAAAAAAAAAAAANDY COOOOOOOOOORN!

*shrieked like an over-acted handicapped skeleton drinking booze from an empty bottle*

Only surprise about The Last Unicorn, is the cast of real actors who emberrassed themselves in that crap fest. It was a bad attempt by americans at japanimation.

There, there brother. They all have to grow up sometimes......(sick pedophile bastard)

God why?

Even at 40 she fuggably delicious!

article400_jennifer-connelly-paul-bettany-420x0.jpg

God why?

Even at 40 she fuggably delicious!

article400_jennifer-connelly-paul-bettany-420x0.jpg

Oh, yes, definitely! But my mind was on her Labyrinth character. I also quite enjoyed her in Rocketeer and The Hot Spot (long boring movie though), and Inventing the Abbots, and so on.

LOL! this reminds me of the David Beckham commercial we saw last night where he gets some stuff on his shirt and everyone is insisting he take his shirt off and the Wendy's manager jumps in and tells him to keep it on.

And my WIFE says, "I hate that man."

??

I think I get it now. o_O

I distinctly remember the documentary "The making of the Dark Crystal" to be a much much better movie than the actual film it was documenting. Early animatronics and Henson magic, it was great. The movie itself was a steaming turd.

Gelfling Ale

Skeksis Stout

Mystic Wit

Augra's One-Eyed Brown

Paudling Pale

Regards, GF. :mug:

......i.....what the..........ach...........AHHHHHHHHH?!?!??!!??!

OK. Loved your suggestions, but for the aggregious lack of mention of the gelfling essence IPA.....I may have to put a hit on you.......

I distinctly remember the documentary "The making of the Dark Crystal" to be a much much better movie than the actual film it was documenting. Early animatronics and Henson magic, it was great. The movie itself was a steaming turd.

Back when it was awesome nerds being creative rather than EXTRA nerdy nerds synthesizing code and letting computers do all the work? Yeah, and to date?.....MORE CRAPPY LOOKING THAN HENSON'S WORK.

HATE CGI. You should hear my young kids call out CGI in a heartbeat.

they are more mesmerized by somewhat capably operated muppets.

......i.....what the..........ach...........AHHHHHHHHH?!?!??!!??!

OK. Loved your suggestions, but for the aggregious lack of mention of the gelfling essence IPA.....I may have to put a hit on you.......

I thought the Gelfing Ale was just a shortened version of Gelfing Essence IPA.:drunk:

My lhbs doesn't seem to carry gelfling essence, where can I get some?

ahhhh....I see.

Yeah. But the trouble is you gotta milk a Gelfling.

And I dunno about you, but there is no way I am touching Stephen Tylers junk.

And so it begins.........;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084237/

You are correct.

That's nuts. I haven't seen it some time, I'll have to sit down and check it out as an adult.

Phew. get some homebrew in you first. It isn't Troll 2, but it still SUCKS.

Back