Exporting BSM files and saving and restoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's a long story, but I have an old XP computer that I love. The registry is totally corrupted by a trojan and I'm going to wipe the whole drive and try to start over.

I realize I can't re-download the Beersmith version I have, and I have to buy the new version. But I don't want to lose my recipes.

Can I export BSM files to an external drive (or Bob's computer), download the Beersmith program, and then move the BSM files into it?

Yooper said:
It's a long story, but I have an old XP computer that I love. The registry is totally corrupted by a trojan and I'm going to wipe the whole drive and try to start over.

I realize I can't re-download the Beersmith version I have, and I have to buy the new version. But I don't want to lose my recipes.

Can I export BSM files to an external drive (or Bob's computer), download the Beersmith program, and then move the BSM files into it?

Absolutely. I'd recommend exporting all of your recipes as BSM and XML just to be safe

I looked and looked on that site for the 1.4 version, and didn't see it so I assumed it wasn't available. Of course, I've already restored my hard drive and don't have the product key anymore. Darn it!

I think you can e-mail Brad at Beersmith for your old key. It's worth a shot, anyway.

I think you can e-mail Brad at Beersmith for your old key. It's worth a shot, anyway.

I already paid for the new version, at $20.95, I thought it was reasonable.

The only thing I noticed was the "duplicate" button is gone. I used to use that to copy a recipe, change the date, and keep the updated version in order in the brew log. I'll have to play with it a bit, but otherwise it seems ok.

The only thing I noticed was the "duplicate" button is gone. I used to use that to copy a recipe, change the date, and keep the updated version in order in the brew log. I'll have to play with it a bit, but otherwise it seems ok.

It's taken me awhile to get used to it, but I think I'm satisfied at this point. I bought it at the pre-sale price when first released and HATED it. I laid off of it for a couple of months and stayed with 1.4. I've been playing with new version again for a couple of weeks and getting used to it. There's still a lot I dislike about the layout and such (I use a netbook so screen size is a problem), but I'm beginning to like more and more.

I'm not quite ready to abandon 1.4 yet, though.

Bit late to the party, but Yoop when you open a recipe there is a "Save As" button in the top right corner. Hit that, enter a new name, and blammo: duplicate.

Bit late to the party, but Yoop when you open a recipe there is a "Save As" button in the top right corner. Hit that, enter a new name, and blammo: duplicate.

I found it! I did it about four times, though, because I didn't realize that I was in "brew log" but it saved the recipes I copied into "my recipes". I kept looking and thinking, "Huh. That didn't work". So I did it again. Then, in my recipes I had the thing copied about four times. Duh!

I found it! I did it about four times, though, because I didn't realize that I was in "brew log" but it saved the recipes I copied into "my recipes". I kept looking and thinking, "Huh. That didn't work". So I did it again. Then, in my recipes I had the thing copied about four times. Duh!

Give it a little time and you'll get used to this new version. I don't use half of the features it has but have gotten used to the new interface and like a lot of the improvements.

As for bringing the .bsm files and everything over from an old version, if you just copy the old Beersmith directories you can go to File -> Import Wizard in Beersmith 2 and point the wizard to those files and it will bring over all the files/settings that it can.

I realize that may not help Yooper at this point, but it might help someone else searching for this.

Back