Can Stout taps be used to server other beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierFest

Reaction score
Hi,
This has come up a few times on other threads but I have not seen any definitive answer.

For consistency I would love to have all the same type of taps on my kegerator.

If I installed Stout taps and when I wanted to serve non stout types I simply remove the restrictor/creaming plate and the plastic flow gizmo from my tap - will this allow me to serve styles such as Lager and IPA as if I was using a regular tap (I would use CO2 to pump the non-stout beers)?

Do some people already do this and if so how does it compare to using a standard tap?

They can. I don't think it pours as well though. And it's not hard to switch taps. I put my bitter through my stout faucet with out taking out the flow director and it worked well. I think you need that flow director because of the distance between the tip of the faucet and where the beer actually comes out.

Hi,
This has come up a few times on other threads but I have not seen any definitive answer.

For consistency I would love to have all the same type of taps on my kegerator.

If I installed Stout taps and when I wanted to serve non stout types I simply remove the restrictor/creaming plate and the plastic flow gizmo from my tap - will this allow me to serve styles such as Lager and IPA as if I was using a regular tap (I would use CO2 to pump the non-stout beers)?

Do some people already do this and if so how does it compare to using a standard tap?

I will be able to tell you soon! :D - hope to be setting up my faucet this weekend.

I think the key being, they should be able to but you will have to adjust the PSI based on what you would normally be serving through a stout tap. i.e. if you have your stout tap at 30 PSI then take the restictor plate out and serve at 30 psi you will have a mess. However, if you remove the restrictor plate and burp the keg, then lower gas to say 12psi, you likely will have a proper pour.

I am not sure how much restriction those plates add to the pour (but I assume a lot). Figure out that restriction value and you can balance the dispensing pressure.

I would agree w last post because they say if your going to use it w non stouts u need to take out the plate but I dont know how the pour w be since I never done it but I would thing end result would be the same u need to change psi to match ur beer otherwise u will have a mess

The only tap that u don't have to worry about is the turbo tap that they made it can be used for stouts n regular beers but its a pretty penny u be good to go w the stout tap if u don't want to change it for the overall look of things u just have to remember to put plate back in when u want a stout

I would agree w last post because they say if your going to use it w non stouts u need to take out the plate but I dont know how the pour w be since I never done it but I would thing end result would be the same u need to change psi to match ur beer otherwise u will have a mess

The only tap that u don't have to worry about is the turbo tap that they made it can be used for stouts n regular beers but its a pretty penny u be good to go w the stout tap if u don't want to change it for the overall look of things u just have to remember to put plate back in when u want a stout

Everywhere you said stout, replace the word stout with "serve on beer gas" and you would be correct.

The faucet could care less the type of beer.

Thanks for the replies. So it seems that the general consensus is that yes it will work quite well but maybe not just quite as well as with the correct tap!

I will be using CO2 to push non-stout beer at the correct CO2 pressure and CO2/Nitrogen mix to push stout at the higher pressure.

Back