Oatmeal Stout Mods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
So I just received my Oatmeal Stout kit from Midwest and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on ways to enhance it a little bit. I have some dried woodruff on hand and I've read that it complements a stout recipe pretty well. Anyone know of something else that would make a good addition?

Chewy

I have always enjoyed my cherry oatmeal stout. I really dig the deep cherry flavor! If you don't have cherries try adding cherry essence at bottling, or maybe raspberry, black currant or chocolate essence. Your LHBS should have these!

I have an oatmeal stout kit from AHS i was thinking about turning into a pumpkin stout-mainly because its almost august and haven't made any beers for the fall yet. Have a couple of cans of pumpkin-haven't decided if i will add to mash or boil (I do partials), plus some spices at flameout. Other ideas: sweet/milk stout (lactose), bourbon, oak, coffee. Of course could just do this oatmeal straight up, experiment next time and compare.

I've used an oatmeal stout partial mash kit as a base for a coffee stout, vanilla oak stout, and most recently a chocolate milk stout. I've been pleased with all of them, but have received the most positive feedback from the coffee stout. It just depends on which direction you want to take it.

i bet adding 2 pounds of roasted coconut to the secondary fermentation would be a nice enhancement to the stout. it worked for my porter.

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up adding an extra 8 ounces of oats with the rest of the grains and put in 1 ounce of woodruff at the end of the boil, just put it in the fermenter a couple hours ago. Next time I make a stout I'll try adding raspberry or chocolate as those sound quite delicious.

Latest posts

Back