Open Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
I'm planning a German hefe, and would like to do an open fermentation. My paln is to do it inside the converted chest freezer I am using as a fermentation chamber. I store all my excess grain and hops inside this freezer as well. There is a small fan to circulate the air around inside the chamber. Does anyone see any problems this configuration might pose?

Maybe without the fan, you want to keep that layer of co2 above the beer. Have you watched BrewingTVs episode on this? It got me interested in trying it too, good info and entertaining.

I have watched that episode. It turned me on to it. The fan is what concerns me about my setup too. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Grains have tons of nasty bugs, I'd take them out and wash out the freezer with bleach solution. I've had trichoderma mold grow on spilt wort in my chest freezer.

I'd take everything out, bleach then starsan (cuz I'm anal about infection), then go for it and try not to open the freezer.

Really? You'd go that far huh? I guess I don't see a clean freezer with grain in ziplocks as posing that much of a threat. Thanks for the responses!

Less than 12 hours after pitching. Topless hefe is underway!

ForumRunner_20110611_095443.jpg

ForumRunner_20110611_095515.jpg

Pictures are:

1. 24 hours after pitching, I skimmed the skuzz after this photo, but didn't take another pic
2. 36 hours after pitching, I just finished skimming and rousing
3. About 10 minutes after picture 2, a new krausen is starting to form.
4. 36 hours after pitching, some beautiful top cropped yeast.
5. About an hour later on the stir plate.

IMAG1008.jpg

IMAG1012.jpg

IMAG1017.jpg

IMAG1015.jpg

IMAG1018.jpg

Back