Need advice on right equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManningSMS

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am very new to the home brewing scene and would like some expert advice on what to purchase. I have made a quick list of items I think I need from reading posts on this website and reading a couple of books. Please let me know of anything I'm missing or if I have something listed that isn't needed. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Stainless Steel Brewpot
Stainless Stell spoon
Floating Thermometer
Nylon Straining bags
Hydrometer
Test Jar
Funnel
6 1/2 Gallon Glass Carboy
5 Gallon Glass Carboy
Glass Airlock
Stopper
Auto Siphoning
Bottling Bucket
Bench Capper
Bottles
Caps
Iodophor Sanitizer

Of course I will also be purchasing the malt, hops, and yeast. I am just looking for advice on the equipment. Thanks!

Assuming you are planning on starting with extract recipes your list looks good. Would add a bottle filler and some 3/8 in tubing for siphoning and bottling. I'm not aware of any glass airlocks - if they made them I would likely shy away though as they would be too fragile for my taste. Good luck and have fun!

I would get a digital thermometer insted of the floater Its one of the best purchases I have made in the brewery. You can get them at Target for 15 bucks. I would also buy a fermenting bucket and lid and only one carboy go for the 6.5 gallon PET plastic like the better bottle carboy I tend to want to stay away from glass for a couple of reasons 1 I have three kids (accedents do happen) and weight is another factor. it only takes breaking 1 filled with a 4 week old stout to convert you to plastic.so...
Plactic fermenting bucket w/ lid
Better Bottle carboy
dont forget the stopper w/ hole for the carboy
digital thermometer
you already have the forum so your well on your way there
these are just MY preferances ;)

Good luck
JJ

second on the better bottles, i havent been brewing long enough to have broken a glass carboy, but man are they heavy. I'd also take the plunge and get a wort chiller and a 7.5 gallon kettle to do full boil right off the bat. Good luck and happy shopping!

Drop the cash and get a wallpaper tray. Necessary item for sanitizing autosiphons, racking canes, and other long items. (They are a whopping $3.)

A bottling tree is a great item, too. Although you might be able to use your dishwasher instead and save a few bucks for ingredients.

If you are going to use a glass fermenter, then a carboy hauler (nylon straps to carry the carboy) are a VERY good investment. A milk crate works almost as well.

And finally, if you have some cash left, splurge and get an 02 or aeration system. Rocking a fricken glass carboy for 5 minutes gets really old really fast. (Not oxygenating/aerating and getting lousy beer is even worse!).

EDIT: Oh -- also, one necessary item everyone overlooked. Get a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew" (3rd edition) or Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". That is the best money you will spend.

FlyGuy said:
EDIT: Oh -- also, one necessary item everyone overlooked. Get a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew" (3rd edition) or Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". That is the best money you will spend.
You forgot Dave Millers "Homebrewing Guide":mug:
JJ

jaybird said:
You forgot Dave Millers "Homebrewing Guide":mug:
JJ
Yep, great book too. I have all three, but think the Palmer book is best, and the Papazian book is a close second. Dave Miller's book is great, but a bit dated and aimed more at all grain brewing. I like Palmer's book best because it is current (has lots on batch sparging, for example) and it is easier to learn from yet still makes a great resource for any skill level of homebrewer. But that's just my personal opinion.

Some other great authors for intermediate or advanced authors are Noonan, Daniels, and Fix (among others).

you are correct it is aimed more towards AG. I should pick up palmers 3rd thanks for the tip:rockin: .. I have been wanting a new book:D
JJ

Thank you everyone for the such quick responses. I am going this weekend to get my equipment, I will report back what I got and how much it cost. I purchased a book called Extreme Brewing. The author is the guy who started Dogfish Brewery. Thanks again for all the suggestions, it is great to have a place like this to help guide us newbies. :)

FlyGuy said:
Drop the cash and get a wallpaper tray. Necessary item for sanitizing autosiphons, racking canes, and other long items. (They are a whopping $3.)

By the way, Lowes carries but Home Depot does not. Apparently, they don't sell wallpaper anymore.

You need to look on Craigslist for a fridge or freezer for fermenting when it is too warm, or for lagers... $150 and then the temp controller to run it will only be about $60... what else?

Pol

Back