Spiced Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
4 gallons tree top Apple juice

Boil in 1 gallon of water:
.5 lbs maltodextrin
2 lbs Light DME
.2 lbs star anise
.2 lbs white pepper
.1 lbs allspice berries
zest of 1 orange
2 oz Ginger

Prime with 40 oz of Apple Juice

I tried Apfelwein and Graff, and they weren't quite what I was looking for. I wanted something closer to Strongbow, and am quite pleased with how it turned out. I may cut back on the allspice, and add a little more orange zest next time.

sounds good, what does the malto do? besides add carbs. i like the idea of the oarge zest, looking to do my first cider soon. i might jusdt do apple juice a 1/lb of steeped pale malt oarange zest and .25oz cascade

sounds good, what does the malto do? besides add carbs. i like the idea of the oarge zest, looking to do my first cider soon. i might jusdt do apple juice a 1/lb of steeped pale malt oarange zest and .25oz cascade

The maltodextrin I think adds a bit more body & mouthfeel. The other ciders I've made were too thin, and I think this works well.

I am right in thinking that .2lb is around 90grams?
To me that seems allot,
What the taste like at the end ? :)

I am right in thinking that .2lb is around 90grams?
To me that seems allot,
What the taste like at the end ? :)

It must have been .2 ounces, that is a lot. It came out with way too much cloves, but decent otherwise.

Back