Favorite yeast for a quadrupel / Belgian dark strong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best yeasts for 18E Belgian dark strong

• 1214/WLP500 - Chimay

• 1388/WLP570 - Duvel

• 1762/WLP540 - Achouffe

• 3463/WLP720 - Verboden Vrucht

• 3522/WLP550 - Achouffe

• 3724/WLP565 - Saison du Pont

• 3711 - Brasserie Thiriez

• 3787/WLP530 - Westmalle

• Other / Harvested

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nateo

Reaction score
Title says it all. I've always used 3787 for my quadrupels, but I want to branch out and try different strains to compare. What are all your favorites?

And sorry if this has been covered before, I searched the archives and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Just stick with wy3787, its the best strain for quads and the most widely used for a reason. I fuddled around with other yeast strains before realizing I wasn't going to find anything better. Sorry...

1762 is Rochefort, not Achouffe.

I'm not voting, as I'd call a toss up between 1762 (Rochefort) and 3787 (Westmalle/Achel/Westvleteren). I love both, they're fairly different, and the manufacturer's descriptions are pretty accurate.

GuldTuborg, I realized that after I posted the poll, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the options after I posted it.

Houblon, I found that thread already, but thanks for the link.

... I've always used 3787 for my quadrupels, but I want to branch out and try different strains to compare...

What if you did something like this: use more than 1 strain of yeast. In Chris White's book on yeast there is part of a chapter devoted to this idea.

I am brewing up a quadruple this weekend and I will start with WLP500 for 4-6 weeks, then move to secondary, feed some sugar and pitch WLP099. I'll probably leave it for 2 months, maybe 3. I will get the flavor profile of the WLP500 and none of the WLP099

I don't see many threads on using multiple strains. I know for a fact that a chef uses more than one flavoring ingredient when cooking. Then why should we be confined to using only one strain of yeast, since most of the flavor profiles are derived from the yeast?

What if you did something like this: use more than 1 strain of yeast.

Best way to try new yeast>>

How many fermentors do you have? I would tell you to split the wort & use different yeast in each fermentor.
(I did this a few yrs ago with whitelabs 5 belgian yeast-5 fermentors 1 wort)

The best way to learn is do your own testing, that way You know first hand what each yeast brings to the table.

Latest posts

Back