Toasting Malted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitrael

Reaction score
Tonight I am brewing with some malted barley that I will be toasting. Should I crack it before or after I toast? Does it matter?

toast first then crack. it matters. i have heard that a large glass baking dish is the best thing to use to prevent uneven toasting.

what color malt are you trying to make? do you have specific instructions on what temperatures and length of time to use?

The Joy of Home Brewing book suggest a standard temp of 350 for toasting. If I remember correctly he said 10 minutes? or until they were browned and you could smell that sweet and toasty smell.

Also rotate it a few times, say every 10 minutes. I would have the oven around 300 or so. After you reach your desired color, cool the malt and let it sit in a paper bag for a couple of weeks before you use it. It will be harsh if you use it right away.

Back