Ever have black mold in your keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBLbrewer

Reaction score
So I open my keezer today and find black mold everywhere. I mixed up a bleach solution, and hose it down with the bleach solution. Let it sit for 30 minutes, rinse, and then hit it with a slightly higher then normal solution of starsan. The mold looks like it is gone, but it was everywhere. Even on my gas hoses and disconnects.

So... how do I keep this from coming back? I should mention that I'm using cobra taps. If that has any bearing.

That's freaky. I've been worried about the same thing...might put some sort of dehumidifier inside the keezer if I have the time/space...not sure. I have noticed water on the floor of the keezer, which I assume is moisture condensing because I am missing a good seal somewhere.

You likely sprayed a bit of beer over the inside or your jeezer at some point (disconnecting lines, etc.). The cool walls will condense any moisture that you trap in there when opening/closing the lid, so you've got a pretty good environment for mold to grow (moisture and food). Also, the cobra taps are probably dripping beer after your pour a glass and put the tap back into the keezer.

When I had cobra taps, Some of the time when I pulled a beer some of the beer would drip from the tap on the tops of my kegs. I had black mold on the top of my kegs. Make sure no beer drips out of kegs, the mold needs food to grow on, beer is food.

You likely sprayed a bit of beer over the inside or your jeezer at some point (disconnecting lines, etc.). The cool walls will condense any moisture that you trap in there when opening/closing the lid, so you've got a pretty good environment for mold to grow (moisture and food). Also, the cobra taps are probably dripping beer after your pour a glass and put the tap back into the keezer.

I try to keep a clean paper towel under each tap, and change it frequently. I just need to build out my keezer, but that is probably months away.

Back