Kewler Kitz Thermothingy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
(I moved this post from the All Grain section, because it's probably more appropriate in this forum. Admins, feel free to delete the original...)

I ordered one of these from Northern Brewer, with the intention of installing it in my Coleman Xtreme MLT. Well, after getting it on Friday, it looks like the Thermothingy isn't nearly long enough to accomodate the wall thickness of the Xtreme. It looks like there'd be hardly any threads extending from either end to tighten the fittings on securely.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for installing a thermometer on the Xtreme? I guess I'll have to just buy a floating thermometer and throw it in the mash soup, but I was really hoping to install a thermometer where I wouldn't have to open the lid during the mash. Then again, I hear this particular cooler is awesome at retaining temperature, so it sounds to me once desired mash temperature is achieved, I could just close the lid and rest assured that I won't lose more than one or two degrees Fahrenheit in sixty minutes.

So, unless others have successfully installed a Thermothingy on an Xtreme, I'll try to return it to Northern Brewer for a credit (I guess I'll get a thermometer fitting for my keggle). If I can't return it, I'll just give it to someone here...PM me if you're interested.

You could use a 1/2" close nipple with a nut and o-ring on either side. Then you'd have to also use an adapter to convert the male threads on the close nipple to female so the thermometer can screw in.

I bought the Thermothingy as well, but couldn't bring myself to cutting another hole in the cooler. It didn't seem to fit all that tightly against the thermometer's stem.

What you can do, though, is invest in a decent (~$15 or $20) digital probe thermometer. You can stick the probe in the mash and close it right up. Continual monitoring, no leaking. So much easier than with a screw-top, rounder cooler (one of the benefits of the Xtreme no one talks about).

the_bird said:
I bought the Thermothingy as well, but couldn't bring myself to cutting another hole in the cooler. It didn't seem to fit all that tightly against the thermometer's stem.

What you can do, though, is invest in a decent (~$15 or $20) digital probe thermometer. You can stick the probe in the mash and close it right up. Continual monitoring, no leaking. So much easier than with a screw-top, rounder cooler (one of the benefits of the Xtreme no one talks about).

That's a very good idea. I'll definitely look into going that route.

beer4breakfast said:
I've found that I can get readings as much as five degrees apart depending on where I take the temp.

I was pondering that in my own mind. So, you basically just take an average of your different readings, then? That seems pretty sensible.

As for a rectangular cooler retaining heat differently than a round cooler, I don't think it would make much difference, although I could very well be wrong. My understanding is that grain bed depth has a lot to do with temp. retention. This is one reason why I went with a 36 qt. cooler vs. the more common 52 or 70 qt. versions of the Xtreme. I figured I'd get more grain depth, and hence, less dead space, which would help stabilize mash temps.

Back