Test runs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davevg

Reaction score
Ok so heres the deal. I bought 4 one gallon glass jugs to use for test runs of ciders. If I was to make say 2 different batches of cider could I split a package of yeast between the two or would that be too little to get them started?

One 5 gram packet of dry yeast is good for a batch of from 1 to 5 gallons, according to the packets themselves.

I've used 1 packet for single 6.5 gallon batches before with no problems, also.

Either way should work fine.

I'm no expert, but in my view, the option is yours?

Pogo

Pogo I read that to. But was wondering if anyone has tried splitting it between 2 batches. I have no problem using one per, but right now I have one packet of EC-118 and a 25 minute drive for more. By the time I figure gas into the mix that’s one expensive batch.

Thanks
Dave

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I've also split a packet five ways between five one gallon batches.

Everything went perfectly.

The option is yours.

Pogo

Wow five way split. Thanks pogo I think I'll give it a try.

yeasty beasties are amazing little organisims. nothing cooler than a fungus that eats sugar and poops alchohol.

you could probably only throw 11-12 little dry colony balls into a sugary liquid and get the desired result, it might take an extra day or two to finish fermenting out but it'll happen - after all if given a good place to live and feed (like applejuice with additional sugar) they reproduce like crack addled rabbits. :rockin:

yeasty beasties are amazing little organisims. nothing cooler than a fungus that eats sugar and poops alchohol.

you could probably only throw 11-12 little dry colony balls into a sugary liquid and get the desired result, it might take an extra day or two to finish fermenting out but it'll happen - after all if given a good place to live and feed (like applejuice with additional sugar) they reproduce like crack addled rabbits. :rockin:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!
:mug:

Ok so heres the deal. I bought 4 one gallon glass jugs to use for test runs of ciders. If I was to make say 2 different batches of cider could I split a package of yeast between the two or would that be too little to get them started?

Why not make a 5 cup (by volume) yeast starter & then add 1 cup starter slurry to each gallon jug? Just let the yeast do it's thing in the starter for a couple hours & those little buggers will multiply quite well, and they'll hit your must running at full speed. That's just my 2 cents worth, hope it's useful. Regards, GF.

Why not make a 5 cup (by volume) yeast starter & then add 1 cup starter slurry to each gallon jug? Just let the yeast do it's thing in the starter for a couple hours & those little buggers will multiply quite well, and they'll hit your must running at full speed. That's just my 2 cents worth, hope it's useful. Regards, GF.

+1

This is what I do whenever I am doing multiple 1 gal. test batches

Back