Chimay Premiere Clone (Red)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSI - CandiSyrup

Reaction score
Chimay Premiere (Red), TRIAL 001

This recipe like the Blue was drafted from BLAM and the Chimay Red label declaration of ingredients, (water, malted barley, wheat, sugar, hops, yeast).

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.010
ABV: 7.1%
SRM: 15
IBU: 19 (Tinseth)
VOL: 5.00 gal
BHE 75% (assumed)

FERMENTABLES
10.0 lb Belgian Pils
0.50 lb Dingeman's Cara 45
1.00 lb Torrified Wheat
0.50 lb D-45, Candi Syrup, Inc.

HOPS (19 ibu)
Saaz (US) 7.2, 60 min (Brewery visits indicate Nugget is the bittering hop now)
Hallertau (German) 3.8, 15 min

YEAST
WLP 500 (Chimay) – (Pitch 150 to 160 billion cells). For starter details see the pitching rates help doc at: http://www.candisyrup.com/help-docs.html

MASH
Protease 129F 20 minutes
Saccharification (via decoction) 147F 60 minutes
Mash out 170F 15 minutes

NARRATIVE: 90 minute boil. Chill to 68F. Slow diffusion O2 for 30-40 seconds. Ramp primary from 68F to 81F over 4 days. Let temp drop to 60F on day 5. Gravity should be at target, (1.010), on day 5. Rack off primary yeast to secondary and hold at 34F for 3-4 days to halt fermentation and flocc. Prime with pre-boiled candi syrup (D-45, Simplicity or Golden), at a rate of 29-30 grams/gallon, (5 oz water + syrup. Syrup is diluted for miscibility). Bottle, and hold at 72F for 10 days for initial carbonation. Cellar bottles for 6 months.

I can't wait to give this a shot. I've got two other recipes in the pipeline now, this will be my third.

I brewed the following based on Denny Conn's Chimaybe recipe:

8 lb pilsner
1.75 lb munich malt
6 oz wheat malt
6 oz special b
1lb D-45

I went with an infusion mash on the lower end around 148. My hop schedule is about the same but I don't have the necessary facilities to adjust fermentation temperatures.

I bottled this a few weeks ago so I haven't gotten a taste as of yet. Do you have any sort of program that verifies or tests your recipes?

Do you have a program that verifies or tests your recipes?

Here at CSI we love Denny's recipes.

Yes, we do fund partnership brew trials and comparative testing. The brew trials engage partners with equipment to perform the challenges of a particular recipe. The recipe prototypes are kept simple, established from BLAM, and augmented by information from other sources if possible. Method due diligence is initially taken from BLAM and refined deductively over multiple rounds of trials. In the end the final results are tested against the actual import in multiple taste tests. CSI partners here and remote brew trial partners participate.

We have two brew partners who are signed into the parallel brew trial for the Chimay Premier Red (this new thread). At the moment we have recipe trials ongoing in Canada and the US, (La Trappe Dubbel, Chimay Blue, Westamalle Tripel, and Chimay Red).

The interactive feedback makes these clone trials valuable. We will soon have an opening for an upcoming brew trial for the SB ABT 12. The recipe due diligence is still ongoing.

All of this allows us to demonstrate the exacting clones made with CSI syrups and cassonade. It also gives the trial partners a chance to submit their work to BJCP competitions. Many of whom have won BJCP 1st place and Best of Show.

What are the criteria for involvement with the trials?

Good fermentation temp control is important. A few good years of brewing Belgians is also important. A stainless conical does help and a glycol jacketed conical even better but good efforts have been made using glass carboys and makeshift temp controls.

Subscribed.

I love Chimay Red, but failed at my first attempt to brew something like it. The beer itself has matured into probably my best beer yet, though nothing like Chimay Red.

I look forward to your results.

Subscribed.

I love Chimay Red, but failed at my first attempt to brew something like it. The beer itself has matured into probably my best beer yet, though nothing like Chimay Red.

I look forward to your results.

Thank you. We should have initial results very soon in a couple of weeks. I'll try to post pics and a critique of method/recipe as soon as we can. Then on to another set of Chimay Red clone tests :)

What are the quantities for the hops on this recipe? Would really like to brew this soon.

Do you have any updates on the progress of the trials? The latest version on your website is listed as 003 which is in a draft state. Are any of the trials closer than the others? What have you been changing between the trials?

This is a pic of the Chimay Red from Trial 003. It is very close to the import. It poured naturally very clear with a classic copper hue. It finished pouring with a slight haze from the Chimay yeast. The aroma has a vary faint fruit and malt on pour. The palate is similar with spice and faint fruit finish. The recipe from which this one was brewed is posted out on: www.candisyrup.com/recipes

Chimay Red 003.jpg

I found what appears to be the final brew sheet on your site. Any tweaks or tips? 5 days seems like a pretty fast ferment - I would probably do a few batches back to back and save some of the yeast - easier to age if you have more on hand!

I had a bottle of this recently and want to have it on hand so badly - $12 for 750ml is... spendy! (and $20+ for 4x 333ml is no better)

I found what appears to be the final brew sheet on your site. Any tweaks or tips? 5 days seems like a pretty fast ferment - I would probably do a few batches back to back and save some of the yeast - easier to age if you have more on hand!

I had a bottle of this recently and want to have it on hand so badly - $12 for 750ml is... spendy! (and $20+ for 4x 333ml is no better)

The fermentation can take up to 10 days depending on yeast health but a high quality starter can finish this ale in 5 days.

Back