Is there any good yeast in here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I have been reusing my yeast by adding preboiled water to the primary after I rack off the beer and then pouring that into pint jars. I normally see a layer of creamy yeast on top of the sediment after everything has settled. The last time I did this, I don't see that creamy layer. Do you think there is good yeast to use still?

In the picture, the one on the right is what I normally get, and the one on the left is the one I'm questioning. I've been using this method to reuse my yeast and have never had a problem in the past with poor fermentation.

P1010276 (Medium).jpg

The one on the right looks to have a creamy yeast laye,albe it no too big.

It looks like there may be a tiny bit in the one on the left. However, by the color of the liquid it looks like you are getting a lot of wort in there. I am not sure if this is a problem, but the idea is to get the yeast to go dormant -- ie cold and no food.

You may want to review your technique -- maybe rack more of the wort off, put in more cold pre-boiled liquid, and also let it settle for a bit so you don't get so much trub. For reference, I have attached a photo of one of my yeast containers. I am not sure if any of this is a problem, I am just using my own experience and the yeast washing stickies as a reference.

IMG00036-20130106-0834.jpg

Does the trub hurt it? I've never noticed a problem with mine when I've done this. I don't go through multiple washing cycles like some do. I had someone tell me this is what they did, so I tried it and it's been working for me. I'm just wondering if there's a chance that if I pitch this yeast that no fermentation will take place.

I don't think the trub hurts, but the yeast may not store as long if it does not go dormant.

Make a starter with it before you pitch and you will be certain whether it is good or not.

The one on the left looks like it may need to continue settling and or be washed again. I've had some that I've had to wash 4 and 5 times to get them to actually separate. Thought about trashing them a couple of times and decided to just stick with it. They all worked out in the end.

the one on the left looks like it has a thin layer of good yeast....

follow hackwood's advice and/or make a decent starter

Back