Crushed grain ... still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBIV

Reaction score
I have 7.5 pounds of crushed grain (7# of 2-row, 1/2#C20) that I intended to use months ago. I planned to brew early August, so I think this was crushed in late September, maybe early August.

It's been sitting in a Hefty Ziploc bag since then, in a box. I tasted some of the grain today and it tastes good. Who knows if that's any indication, though.

Is it still be good to brew with, or should I just dump it?

I have heard that crushed grain keeps only a few weeks like 6 or less. I am not positive but if it tastes good it may be okay. Never kept crushed grain longer than 3 weeks before using it so I cannot say for sure.

Here's an idea (couldn't hurt). Use a small steeping grain bag and make a very small batch on the stove (mash, boil) and taste what comes out of that. If it's sweet and doesn't have an old or stale Wheaties/cereal taste I'd go for it.

It's fine, use it.

Uncrushed grain is good for a couple of years if kept dry, I see no reason why crushed grain should have a problem after 3 months if kept dry and sealed.

As I saw on another thread this evening, someone noted that a lot of partial mash kits probably sit on the shelves for a lot longer than 3 months ..... Go for it!

Back