Bottle conditoining with honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyldewal

Reaction score
I've been making hard cider for a couple years now and with the exception of my first batch they've all turned out great. Even the first batch was quite good after it aged about a year.
I've always fermented until dry and then used truvia to sweeten and corn sugar to bottle condition for carbonation. I was thinking about using honey this year instead of corn sugar but I wasn't sure how much to use so I don't end up with bottle bombs and I was concerned about the flavors it might leave in the cider.
Any advice would be great. :)

Thanks
Wally

Typically 1.25x the weight of corn sugar in honey. There are also carbonation calculation sites out there that give you the option of selecting honey.

I've read 4.5 ounces of honey for a five gallon batch but I've never tried it myself.

northern brewer has a priming calculator on its site where you can find out the amounts of just about any bottle conditioning sugar.

Thank you all for the info. I'm going to have to try part of my batch with honey to see how the flavor differs from the sugar.

Back