Yeast Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I need to make a starter for my Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. OG 1.053 6GAL Batch.

Mr Malty says I need 2.52 L of starter needed which is bigger then a container I have.

I will round down to:
250 g DME to 250 L water
1 English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

I only have a 2L flask and a 1L flask

I was wonder how the best way to split the starter into the two containers.

Could I put the wort in Glass pitcher, pitch the yeast then pour a little into each flask.

Fill the 2L and pitch yeast to it. Then add 50L water to 1L and pour the 2L and 1L back and forth to mike well.

I may be over thinking but wanted what would be best.

Thanks

If you have the time I would do a stepped starter in the 2L flask. That is making a starter, letting it settle, pour off the liquid then add another batch of starter wort. It will take a few days.

Yeastcalc.com is the best site I have found for calculating the size of stepped starters.

If you don't have time I would probably make the wort and put some in each flask then estimate the amount of yeast in each as best I could. I don't think it is critical to the final yeast count to get it exact in each vessel.

If you sanitize really well mixing in the pitcher would be OK.

Make a 2L starter using 200g of DME, ferment it , crash and decant then add another .5L wort to it

I had planned to make this tonight for Sunday brewing which would not allow me enough time for "ferment it , crash and decant then add another .5L wort to it"

But that is good to know for the future so I can plan route when it call for that much..

I just did not think I would need that much starter. I need to find a gal jar to use for this. LOL or get a the 5L flask.

If you have the chance to shake "intermittently" - every hour or two - then you can easily get away with a 2L starter, because you'll be getting more yeast growth than with a simple starter and no shaking.

Buy or build a stirplate. I built one from scrounged parts plus buying what I didn't have and spent $7.40

By using a stirplate you can make smaller starters that will ferment out quicker than with intermittent shaking.

I do mine for 18-24 hours. On a small one I will ferment it over night then pitch the whole starter the next afternoon.

Check at the grocery store or farmers market for apple cider in a glass gallon jug. Wal-Mart has it sometimes, but not often. Whole Foods / Earth Fare has it just about all the time.

I think Mr. Malty usually overestimates what you really need...in most cases. Unless you're doing a super high gravity brew (above 1.075) I can usually get away with a 1 liter starter in almost all recipes with no problems

I found a gallon of cider at the store in a glass gallon jug. This should talke care of most of my needs.

Thanks everyone.

JDFlow said:
Agreed, you shouldn't need a starter for wort under 1.06

Sorry, not true and if you use a starter calculator you may surprise yourself. Next time you use a liquid strain go to Www.yeastcalc.com
Plug in the numbers including the date on your yeast and you'll see that unless the viability is above 95% you will need a starter for correct pitch

This is not to say you won't make beer just pitching the pack/vial, it's to say your yeast will be better off with a starter and so too will your beer:)

Back