Fruit Beer Sunshower Honey Apple Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1010 - American Wheat Ale
Yeast Starter
1L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks**
Tasting Notes
Apple up front and slightly tart. VERY refreshing.
Sunshower Honey Apple Wheat

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Sonny
Boil Size: 6.5 gal
Boil Time: 60
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72% (higher than intended)

Ingredients

US White Wheat 6lbs
US Two-Row 4lbs
Honey Malt .75lbs

4lbs Granny Smith Apples, sliced, de-pitted

US Glacier 6.9AA 1.25oz @ 60min

1 pkgs Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Ale

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge 151ºF
Adjust your water to your preference.

Single Infusion, Batch Sparge
60 min Mash In Add 4.25gal of water at 165ºF
Sparge with 3.5gal of water at 151ºF

Irish Moss @ 15 min
Yeast Nutrient @ 10min

Basically, I cleaned and cut up 4lbs of Granny Smith apples and tossed them into the primary fermentor after fermentation had ceased. The apples kicked it up again for a few days, and I let it sit for about a week after that. I kegged and forced-carbed this one. The apple flavor was very obvious, and very refreshing. It was slightly tart, just enough to play off the sweetness and make it enjoyable.

Did you keep the skins on, and if so, did you wash the apples with anything before tossing them in the fermenter? thanks

Oops, sorry for not responding to this, I must have missed it.

I kept the skins on to hopefully get a little interesting yeast from them (I didn't). I washed the apples with hot water only.

This sounds really interesting did anyone else try this out? I was going to do a basic wheat with a lb of honey malt and .5lbs of honey. How did the .75lbs of honey malt go? Was there obvious honey taste? I might try throwing some apples in as well:)

For this recipe, the honey malt was just enough. I use more in other recipes. I never secondary, but I do longer primaries (3-4 weeks). This beer came out perfect with a slight haziness, definitely no debris at all. Give it a shot! I'll be doing it again real soon, maybe even my next brew or the one after.

Thinking about giving this one a try. Not sure if the brewer is still around, but I'm curious about the apple cleaning process. To make sure they are sanitary going into the fermenter, do you dip them in vodka or something?

but I'm curious about the apple cleaning process. To make sure they are sanitary going into the fermenter, do you dip them in vodka or something?
From post #3 in the thread...
I kept the skins on to hopefully get a little interesting yeast from them (I didn't). I washed the apples with hot water only.

Back