Recipe recommendation - Pale Malt, Munich, Wheat malt, and Crystal 150

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eckythump

Reaction score
My LHBS is hit or miss for grains, so I tend to get whatever they have when I'm there. This time I got 10lbs pale malt, 2 lbs wheat malt, 2 lbs munich, and just under 2 lbs of something they called crystal 150.

I've only done one all grain batch, so I'm hoping the community can help me out with some recommendations for recipes. I'd do 2 half batches (2.5G'ish) because my setup doesn't allow for 5G full boils.

Any recommendations? Maybe a small wheat and another random?

Pale Wheat
2# Wheat
4# Pale Malt
.25# Crystal

Amber / IPA depending on hops available
2# Munich
6# Pale
.5# Crystal

I'm not a huge fan of heavy hop flavour, so I'd stick with an amber. Recommendations for hops?

Tons of options since its not huge hop-flavor beer. Maybe Cascade or Willamette, once at 60 and once ~10-15ish. Or go English and use East Kent Goldings. Probably shoot for low 20's IBUs.

The recipe I showed would have a pretty high SG, like 1.090. And with .5# crystal 150 it'll be a darker brown. So I guess as written it'd be more of an Imperial Brown Ale (and you'd want ~45-60 IBUs). Depends on what you want...use less grain if you want a true amber.

Tons of options since its not huge hop-flavor beer. Maybe Cascade or Willamette, once at 60 and once ~10-15ish. Or go English and use East Kent Goldings. Probably shoot for low 20's IBUs.

The recipe I showed would have a pretty high SG, like 1.090. And with .5# crystal 150 it'll be a darker brown. So I guess as written it'd be more of an Imperial Brown Ale (and you'd want ~45-60 IBUs). Depends on what you want...use less grain if you want a true amber.

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll post back with some results whenever I get to it.

I'll be trying a wheat on Sunday. Recommendations for those hops? :)

I use a couple additions of American perle in my dunkelweis. Perle tends to be my go to floral/spicy hop though, but I get good results with it. Its not overpowering or anything. Half OZ each at 60 and 30 minutes. Not sure what it would do in a "pale" wheat... I'm not too hot on them, so I don't brew em.

^ that would be for a five gallon batch, and its a bit "bigger" dunkelweis @ about 7% ABV...

Made a pale wheat today. Used 1 oz of tettnanger, 3/4 for 60 and 1/4 for 30.

Sieved the cooled wort before pitching some nottingham on it.

Holy trub!

My grains were double milled and was biab so I'm not surprised to have quite a bit of trub but that's a lot! It's still settling down.

image-1141320946.jpg

Yum! Looks great. A lot of people dry hop this style too for some extra hop flavor & aroma. You mentioned you're not a huge hop fan, so your as-is recipe will be awesome too.

What yeast?

Yum! Looks great. A lot of people dry hop this style too for some extra hop flavor & aroma. You mentioned you're not a huge hop fan, so your as-is recipe will be awesome too.

What yeast?

This is Nottingham.

Checked it this morning and there is some crazy activity in there. The whole thing is rolling, almost like a boil. About an inch of krausen. Airlock is bubbling 2 times a second.

Seems like all this rolling pulled up a lot of that trub. It shrank to about half its size. Maybe that was actually some yeast growing :)

TyTanium said:
Pale Wheat
2# Wheat
4# Pale Malt
.25# Crystal

Amber / IPA depending on hops available
2# Munich
6# Pale
.5# Crystal

Made the amber yesterday. Pitched in 2 slurries from 2 mini-batches (where I was playing with hops). Got a nice baby-puke krausen on top. Yummy..

image-1483542250.jpg

Back