Silicone Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formito

Reaction score
Is this a common tubing that people use in their setups?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FP0IV6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have seen something like this at the LHBS but it is much more expensive. I'm currently looking to get about 20-40 ft of tubing for my setup that is better than the standard, tough to bend, reinforced tubing I have now.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you planning on using it for? At 3/16" ID it's useless for kettles and hot wort flow (too damned small). For kegging (liquid out) since it's more expensive (Keg Connection has 3/16" Bevlex at $.49 per foot).

I wouldn't use the reinforced tubing either, since (as you mentioned already) it's a biotch to bend. Doubly so when cold.

I use 3/16" ID Bevlex for my beer lines, and the 5/16 red host that Keg Connection sells for my gas lines.

Oh, I somehow linked to the wrong one. It was supposed to be 1/2" ID tubing that I want to use for a full 1 tier setup. I'm just trying to find a good flexible tubing for a price that won't kill me.

Pretty much... From what I've seen, Rebel is among the cheapest at $2.40 per foot.

You also (IMO) want the stuff rated for up to 500F. Just in case it gets a bit close to the flame/heat source on the stand.

If your LHBS has it in sock, and as much as you need, see what they would do on a purchase of the amount you're looking to get. Some won't budge on their per foot price. Others, though, will come down a bit on the per foot price if you buy enough of it. I would also factor in shipping costs when ordering it online. Depending on how fast you NEED it, that could make the LHBS cheaper. Basically, look at the total cost, in hand, from both and then decide where to buy it.

Is this a common tubing that people use in their setups?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FP0IV6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have seen something like this at the LHBS but it is much more expensive. I'm currently looking to get about 20-40 ft of tubing for my setup that is better than the standard, tough to bend, reinforced tubing I have now.
Thanks

i bought this tubing from amazon and it's the good stuff and cheaper than everywhere else. i also bout the thinner stuff to use with my auto siphon which is waaayyy better than the vinyl stuff since you can boil and reuse forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's cheap because it's low grade tubing. Safe to only 275f makes it low grade. The 'good stuff' is rated up to 500f. IMO better off spending the bit more per foot for the good stuff. Unless you don't care about some getting heat damaged from being too close to a heat source.

It's not really "low grade". It isn't a comparable item to Silicone tubing because it is a different material. The deal killer for me is that the Thermoplastic tubing is opaque and I want to see the liquid flowing.

Wouldn't this less heat tolerant tubing work for an electric setup?

Since the OP didn't mention how he was heating we have no way to know if he's gas or electric. Personally, I'm fine with the higher tolerant, semi-transparent tubing I'm using to move hot wort.

BTW, if you use some QD's, you'll need far less tubing. Just make the sections long enough to be used in more than one connection. With QD's you can also clamp the tubing to ensure you don't get any leaks.

I'm using propane but my bk is wide enough that not much heat will ever reach the sides where the tubing is. I also use quick disconnects and the opacity for my current setup doesn't really ever bother me.

I like being able to SEE that wort is flowing inside the tubing. Especially when I'm recirculating the mash wort.

If you're just lookimg to get cheap tubing, go for it. I'll keep getting the stuff that I know won't have issues and that I can see into.

It's cheap because it's low grade tubing. Safe to only 275f makes it low grade. The 'good stuff' is rated up to 500f. IMO better off spending the bit more per foot for the good stuff. Unless you don't care about some getting heat damaged from being too close to a heat source.

unless there was a link to a lower grade tubing that i didn't see, the OP's link is to silicone tubing that is good to 500 degrees. amazon has the cheapest price on this type of tubing anywhere that i've looked.

also, its not exactly the whole tube, but my transparent QD's let me see the wort as it flows as well.

Back