Dry erase labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
Is there such an animal as dry erase labels? As I get more batches bottled, I basically just want to use a label as a functional thing - to know which beer is which when the bottles are the same style. I would love to avoid having to remove and replace labels every batch.

Thanks for the input.

I don't know what a 'china pencil' is, but is something made of an opaque waxy substance? Like what you see military people in the movies using to write on those glass maps and whatnot?

-walker

I've experimented a little with labels. Print them out on my computer's printer and attach to the bottle with a little hot glue. Both the lable and glue come off with little effort. Though it takes a bit of time designing, printing, cutting and attaching the labels. Negative side is if the bottle leaks the ink bleeds. But the problem can be reduced by a quick sprayover the lable with hair spray which contains a mild laquer. Nice touch to the beers that my friends try.

Walker said:
I don't know what a 'china pencil' is, but is something made of an opaque waxy substance? Like what you see military people in the movies using to write on those glass maps and whatnot?

-walker
It's also commonly referred to as a grease pencil, and yes, you have the right idea. They aren't nearly as common now as they used to be, not since the advent of dry erase boards and markers.

Been lots of posts on this but you can put a unique identifying mark with a marker on the cap and just jot down the type of beer and its representative mark in your brew book. I don't like the look of marker on my caps and instead, use tiny colored dot stickers from Staples or Office Max to mark each cap and then write down which color is which beer. I only label beers that head out of the house or slap one on a keg to identify.

Concerning the original question, there is something pretty darn close. Try going to a teach supply store sometime. They typically sell stuff that has a dry erase surface with adhesive backing in sheets and rolls. I've used the sheets in a couple places around the house (primarily the fridge) for places to got stuff down. It wouldn't be too hard to cut them down to size.

Honestly, a grease pencil or sharpie marker would be quicker and more economical, but it would be fun to see done :)

I am in the car business, and we use the grease pencils to mark car windshields. It comes off with a razor balde or really hot water. you can find them at an office max or office depot. You can get then in different colors also. The good thing about them is that you can get it wet and it wont disappear

my wife brought home a lazer labeler and it is the ****.. i used it to put a same label on each keg so i know through the age phase which keg is which. to bad she needs to take it back to work. I guess you can get them at an office supply store for around 20$ or so. it works awesome

When i worked at a rental house we had aluminum signs that we'd write on with a sharpie. You can only get it off with a little Asatone (spelled wrong). And it'd come write off. Maybe a idea if u can get the aluminum to hold to the side of the bottle.... I wonder if u could do the same but with the dry earase stuff that was mentioned above???

Back