Hey, what happened to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perry

Reaction score
Hey, what happened to that Bayou Classic burner we were all raving about??? I got one, but I want three, and now a brew-mate needs a couple, too!

Have they stopped making the 250,000 BTU model?

Thanks, -p

It got replaced by this one.

BCKAB5.jpg

The KAB5

Thanks, Edwort. That be the beast. I brewed with a friend yesterday on his equipment... and realized I've been spoiled by the speed of that burner. -p

Now...the question is: Where can you get the KAB4? I understand the mods they made to the new version render it less awesome.

I have the 55k version, works like a charm for me. $110 shipped with 30qt stainless pot

I've found the separate burner for $35 + $10...I guess I'll just use a high pressure regulator to achieve higher BTU's. Anyone got experience with this? I want it for my HLT so I can get that water up to temp ASAP. I'll use smaller burners on my MLT and Kettle.

So, I'm curious. Is it the regulator that gives a burner its power, or the size and number of holes or what? In addition to that Bayou Classic I've got my old burners which are about the same size but don't crank nearly as much heat...

Thanks, -p

It's a combination of the gas pressure (regulator), size of the gas orifices, and the size of the of the air intake orifice as well. If all they did was reduce the reg. capacity, and the rest is unchanged,.... time to upsize!

vasie said:
What adjustments did they make to render it less awesome?
They put it in a glass kiosk that houses an electrified de-awesomulator machine. I think it runs off of 220V AC.:p Yeah...they changed the regulator....I DON'T think they changed the burner., as it is cast and I don't think they would have changed theshape or number of holes. With that being said, you should be able to use a HP regulator and get the same results as the old one. The company probably made this change in the interest of fuel economy...I just want a crazy powerful burner to heat my sparge water and HERMS coil.

Latest posts

Back