Wow - explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
So, I put my mead in a few days ago to ferment and only put half of the acid blend.yeast nutrient package I got from AHS. Fermentation started within 6 hours, and foamed a bit the first day, but settled down to just bubbles and no foam after that. Added the rest of the package this morning and it looked like one of those elementary school science fair volcanos! Settled back down after 10 minutes or so, but after exploding through my airlock.

What the heck is with that? Is this normal?

Yes - lots of nucleation points when you add nutrient to an active fermentation. It causes lots of CO2 to expel in a short amount of time.

Yes - lots of nucleation points when you add nutrient to an active fermentation. It causes lots of CO2 to expel in a short amount of time.

I'll say! It was very bazar - good thing I had my sanitized blow off hose handy - that thing was a geyser!

So - I guess this is normal, so back to not worrying.

Thanks.

I'll say! It was very bazar - good thing I had my sanitized blow off hose handy - that thing was a geyser!

So - I guess this is normal, so back to not worrying.

Thanks.
it's one of those lessons that, once taught, you never forget.

once a ferment is underway and presuming I'm doing staggered nutrient additions, then I always give it a good stir when adding stuff like nutrient, I always stir it with the carboy/demi-john/bucket/whatever sitting in the sink.

only then do I add the nutrient.

Otherwise, it can be a waste of possibly a bloody good mead, not forgetting the cost of the ingredients....

regards

fatbloke

I hear ya - should post a warning on that packet LOL

Luckily, I had 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy, and the blow off hose only siphoned off a quarter cup of liquid. Never thought I could move that fast in the morning with less than one cup of coffee!

You are right though, won't forget that one again. :D

I remember I did a post like "Boss, boss, the foam, the foam" the first time it happened to me.
And how many years did I force my yeast to slave away in that hostile environment.. Oh the shame of it....

Back