Is this normal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdirtbuggy

Reaction score
I am a total newcomer to homebrewing and i am not too familiar how everything works, so here is my question. I made a german hefeweizen a week ago and i was planning on leaving it in the primary for another week then bottle it for my secondary, i am using a bucket for my primary and when i shown a flashlight into it i noticed that there is still a very thin layer of foam and sediment looking stuff floating on top. when i rock the bucket slowly some of the residue sinks to the bottom. what i am wondering is if this normal after a week of fermenting? i was very careful in making sure that all my equipment was properly sanitized prior to brewing. i tasted the beer and it tasted fine, i just don't know if the stuff on top is normal at this stage of fermenting. any input would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Sounds like everything is going good. That layer of foam on top is the krausen and is normal in this stage of fermentation. As long as it tastes good then everything should be ok. Good luck with your first brew!!

It's perfectly normal. What you have there is some yeasties, hop residues, etc. leftover from your krauesen. Most of it falls into the beer and sinks to the bottom, but, as you've discovered, not all of it. It's harmless.

so how do i keep it from being siphoned through when i put it into secondary? or do i just wait till it all drops, cause i was planning on going straight from primary to bottling for my secondary.

Yeah, wait until it drops, in fact if your going from the primary straight to bottles, I think most people recommend leaving it in the primary for about 3 weeks.

Back