Fuller Porter Clone - Some Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSullivan

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I decided I wanted to try and do a Fuller's Porter clone using the recipe the Best of BYO. I've only done extract with specialty grains before, and am only really able to do that with my current equipment (4.5 gallon pot, other smaller pots), based on what I've read on the site, though please correct me if I'm mistaken. Here's the problem(s):

Screw Up #1:
The recipe was for a partial mash, not extract with specialty grains. So my grains consist of:
.75# Pale Malt
1.5# Brown Malt
1# Crystal Malt (80 L)
.75# Chocolate Malt

Unfortunately these are all milled and poured into the same bag, so they are not separable.

Screw Up #2:
The recipe called for 1# Muntons Light DME and a late edition of 4# Muntons Light LME. Somehow I managed to buy 6# of Muntons Light DME only. Don't ask me how I screwed that one up so badly.

At least I got the hops correct. :ban:

So with that being said.....what the hell can I do with this? :eek:

-Do I try to do a partial mash, as described here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/
or should I reduce the amount of grain and do some sort of extract w/specialty grain recipe?

-Could I do a late edition of DME (amount adjusted based on LME to DME conversion)?

I'm a bit confused as to what to do next. At this point my beer doesn't have to be a Fuller's clone but I would like to make a non-horrible, porter-like beer out of the above ingredients, either all or some of them, if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Your in good shape! You may end up with a bit of a different beer than the original recipe, but it will still be good!

Just use the extract you have, use about 4.5 lbs.

then do a mini mash with the grains, its really easy. Its a glorified steep. Ill PM you with some instructions if you like.

Your in good shape! You may end up with a bit of a different beer than the original recipe, but it will still be good!

Just use the extract you have, use about 4.5 lbs.

then do a mini mash with the grains, its really easy. Its a glorified steep. Ill PM you with some instructions if you like.

That'd be awesome, thanks! I really appreciate the help.

Back