cold beer, warm priming water = bad mixing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bluewagons

Reaction score
I bottled a batch last night and am wondering if I might have made a mistake. I had been cold-crashing the beer for the last two weeks (WLP570 takes forever to drop!) so the beer temp was about 35 deg F. My priming solution was room temp, close to 65. I racked on top of the priming solution, got a good swirl like normal. After all bottles were filled, of course I drank the last little bit in the bottling bucket (actually it was a carboy this time). It was crazy sweet, making me think that maybe the sugar didn't mix in so well.

I know I'll just have to wait and see, but wondering if anyone had seen this before with different temperature liquids not wanting to mix.

Thanks!

the overly sweet sample seems to be a common issue. haven't heard of anyone having a problem yet when that happens.

Unfortunely yes, I have had this issue and most of the bottles did not carb correctly. Out of about 50 bottles, 2 or 3 would be way overcarbed and gushing and the rest hardly carbed at all. My situation was exaggerated as my priming solution was probably closer to 100F.

I have avoided the problem since then by adding the priming solution in two doses. One at the beginning of the transfer and again about 50% to 70% of the way through. After racking I use the siphon hose to stir in a circular motion from top to bottom for about a min. I would rather trade a small amount of possible oxidation for evenly carbed beers.

Hope yours turn out fine.

my process....

Boil priming solution
pout into bottling bucket without cooling
siphon into bottling bucket so it swirls as it siphons

have never had an issue with under carbed beer, or bottle bombs.

~5 gallons cold beer + ~1-2 cups warm priming solution = ~5.1 gallons of slightly less cold beer with priming sugar.

No worries.

I was crashing this beer, first time I have done so.

But I looked into it and the temperature differential has much less of an effect on the density variation than the dissolved sugar. I calculated my priming solution at roughly 1.092 compared to my 1.007 beer. So if anything the priming soln would have wanted to sink to the bottom as opposed to float on top.

So whatever fluid dynamics seems to say about this situation, seems like there are mixed responses from folks out there. I will update in a few weeks when some carbing should have happened.

Thanks,

Cool, I'm curious to hear the results. Seams like I'm in the minority here so maybe there was some other issue in play for me. I'm sticking with my routine for now though. Having 4 cases of hardly carbed beer sucked! :(

Edit: The sinking thing makes since too but in my case you never really know what happened. I have about 40 to 50oz dead space under the spigot in my bottling bucket with no dip tube and I tip it to fill those last few bottles. The priming solution could have been floating on top the whole time or waiting under the tap until I tipped at the end. I dissolve my solution in as little water as possible so I'm sure that didn't help.

Back