Storing Crushed Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggy_fenton

Reaction score
This question may have already been asked somewhere else here so I apologize if it was. I was in St. Paul MN last weekend so I decided to swing by Northern Brewers shop and pick up a couple items (very cool place in person by the way!), one of the items being an English Pale Ale kit that came with a bag of steeping grains. They were kind enough to crush them for me as I don't have a mill yet. My question is how long will the grain keep once it's crushed? Any special tips on storing crushed grain? Thanks!

Im new to this but I would say use them asap. If they weren't already crushed they should have been fine to store a little while.

But again... I am really new to brewing.

Keep them dry, as airtight as you can and in a cool place. Your good for a month easily. I have never waitied that long after purchasing a kit.:)

I'm planning on brewing it this coming weekend so it will only have been a week. I've got it in a zip-lock bag and then inside a tupperware container so it should be good. Thanks for easing my mind!!

iggy_fenton said:
I'm planning on brewing it this coming weekend so it will only have been a week. I've got it in a zip-lock bag and then inside a tupperware container so it should be good. Thanks for easing my mind!!
Let us know how it goes. I have the itch to do another batch.

If it's in a sealed bag like most grain from kits are, you should have no problem keeping it for over a month in a cool dry place. At least, I never have. I've left my all-grain kits sit on the shelf for at least 2 months already, brewed with them and had no problems.

Just be sure to examine it a bit and take a sniff to make sure it's good, before you go wasting your day brewing with it :)

:off: but I'm heading to St Paul next Tue-Fri. Think I'll check em out myself... Thanks for that reminder.

desertBrew said:
:off: but I'm heading to St Paul next Tue-Fri. Think I'll check em out myself... Thanks for that reminder.

You should swing over to Mpls (actually, St. Louis Park) and go to Midwest Supplies, too. They also are quite impressive.:fro:

Yeah, I had to make a decision as to which one I was going to visit because of the timeline I was on. I chose Northern because it was slightly closer to our Hotel. I'll definately hit up Midwest on the next trip though!!!!

I'll be right downtown St Paul (Wabasha St) which looks to be only 3.7m away from NB.

Back